Praise for Comey's book

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Praise for Comey's book

Post by jserraglio » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 am

I was up till 1:30 AM reading it. Got about a third of the way thru, up to the Abu Ghraib scandal. The narrative is compelling, and if my Kindle hadn't died, I would have read it strait thru at one sitting.

Comey writes well and, flawed though he may be as a character in his own drama, something that he confesses to at several points, his story so far seems credible to me.

His critics, particularly those on the left who have an axe to grind from 2016, crassly echo Trump by suggesting Comey is a sanctimonious, self-serving liar. I have not found that to be true so far. Comey, with his strong sense of rectitude, was born to be a law-enforcement officer.

He also has a lively sense of humor and enjoys practical jokes and mischief.

So far the most poignant moment in the book occurs when then FBI Director Robert Mueller bends over the hospital bed of Bush's AG John Ashcroft and praises him for refusing to give Stellar Wind, Dick Cheney's secret and unlawful torture program, his imprimatur:
"In every man's life there comes a time when the good Lord tests him," he [Mueller] told Ashcroft. "You passed your test tonight."
In just a few memorable strokes, Comey paints Robert Mueller as a dour stoic, not much given to levity of any sort. I would not want to be the subject of Mueller's scrutiny.

And if Comey testifies to a jury as compellingly as he speaks and acts in this book, let whoever cross-examines him beware.

lennygoran

Re: Praise for Comey's book

Post by lennygoran » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am

I won't have time to read the book but have been watching a lot of CNN and other places where he's been interviewed. I don't think he's a liar but I feel he boxed himself in with his decisions and cost Hillary the election. Without meaning to he has caused a lot of damage to the country-I can't help but think of how much better we would be if she were the president instead of the crooked unhinged monster who we have in the White house today--even if we can regroup and gain control it will take years to recover. Regards, Len :( :( :(

jserraglio

Re: Praise for Comey's book

Post by jserraglio » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am

I kinda agree. Comey's FBI deputy told Comey he was "screwed" after the Hillary hot potato got tossed into his lap.

FBI DEPUTY
You're totally screwed.

COMEY
Right, we're screwed.

FBI DEPUTY
Not us, YOU. YOU'RE screwed. [Exeunt]

Enter Donald Trump, as The Vice, alone.

TRUMP
[aside] Is it really true what Putin told me about Russia having the most beautiful chippies? I must explore this further. [tweeting] Slippery Comey states that Polls, where Crooked Hillary was leading, were a factor in the handling (stupidly) of the Clinton Email probe. In other words, he was making decisions based on the fact that he thought she was going to win, and he wanted a job. Slimeball!