Caller ID: "SPAM?"

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Caller ID: "SPAM?"

Post by John F » Tue May 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Recently I noticed that the caller ID for my Verizon land line has started identifying incoming calls as probably spam. This is very helpful in deciding whether to answer a call from an unknown caller. Here's more about it:
Verizon's new feature, called Spam Alerts, will now show "SPAM?" before a caller's name on the Caller ID display if the calling number matches Verizon's spam criteria.

When a customer sees this, they'll be able to better decide if they should answer the call. Spam Alerts is automatically available now at no additional charge to all landline customers with Caller ID, whether they're on copper or fiber.

Verizon's Spam Alerts feature utilizes TNS's Call Guardian and Neustar's Robocall Mitigation solution to proactively identify illegal robocalls and other fraudulent caller activity with more accuracy.

Verizon is the first to offer an integrated landline feature like this to help customers make more informed decisions on whether to answer a call from an unknown number. It's also the latest tool Verizon has introduced to help its customers avoid robocalls. The recently upgraded Caller Name ID app gives Verizon Wireless customers the ability to identify incoming callers and text message senders by name and its Robocall Protection feature warns customers when incoming calls are likely spam, fraud, or a robocall.
This service is not yet available nationwide but is being rolled out in phases until June.

For non-land line phone calls there are other ways to deal with robocalls. If you get your phone service over the Internet, there's Nomorobo; one of our members has registered with it and says it works. Here's Verizon's page about this and other methods:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residen ... nted-calls

Whether other phone companies besides Verizon offer this service, I don't know.
John Francis

lennygoran

Re: Caller ID: "SPAM?"

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 am

Thanks for this alert-I use Verizon for everything except TV and I get alot of SPAM type stuff. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Wed May 02, 2018 10:12 am

If you have a Verizon land line, you'll see these alerts on that phone's caller ID. They're not available on Verizon wireless phones, but the article I linked to says what is available.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 am

John F wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:12 am
If you have a Verizon land line, you'll see these alerts on that phone's caller ID. They're not available on Verizon wireless phones, but the article I linked to says what is available.
I'll check this out next time the landline phone rings. Usually there's at least one call per day-apparently the IRS is after me! Regards, Len :lol: