Oreo cookies - made in Mexico!

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Oreo cookies - made in Mexico!

Post by Lance » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I was at a party this evening where the famous Oreo cookies were served while playing cards. I had three, and someone said, "Lance, made in Mexico now!" Seeing is believing, the packaging is very clear where the product is made. Am I to believe that America is now choosing to have name-brand cookies made elsewhere than in the USA. I have no problems with Mexico, been there, lovely country. I haven't heard lately, but Steinway's pianos may be made under the direction of people outside the USA or possibly made elsewhere. What is happening!?! I do enjoy food from Canada, Europe and elsewhere (jellies, jams, breads, etc.) but these are items that are not necessarily made in the USA to begin with. I have not been too happy with food products made in China thus far.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Oreo cookies - made in Mexico!

Post by John F » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 am

In a way it makes sense. Cocoa beans can't grow in the U.S. except in southern Florida and Hawaii, while there are many growers in Mexico's warmer climate. And of course labor costs in Mexico and most places in the world are lower than in the U.S. That's what's been happening.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:44 am

The iconic Honda & Toyota of Japan top the list of autos assembled in the USA from mostly domestically produced parts.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 pm

I have a Toyota RAV4 Limited which is probably the best, most dependable car I have ever had. Previously, I had another RAV4, and before that a Camry XLE. And truly, they are the most dependable cars I've ever had, and there have been many. However, some people I have talked with say they are no longer buying their beloved Oreos because of the fact they are made in Mexico. I wonder what that is all about? (And they drive Toyotas or Hondas!)
jserraglio wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:44 am
The iconic Honda & Toyota of Japan top the list of autos assembled in the USA from mostly domestically produced parts.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 pm
I have a Toyota RAV4 Limited which is probably the best, most dependable car I have ever had. Previously, I had another RAV4, and before that a Camry XLE. And truly, they are the most dependable cars I've ever had, and there have been many. However, some people I have talked with say they are no longer buying their beloved Oreos because of the fact they are made in Mexico. I wonder what that is all about? (And they drive Toyotas or Hondas!)
My 2007 Ford Fusion is long in the tooth. I may just have to split for one of those.