"Music" Festivals

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

"Music" Festivals

Post by Belle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Over the last weeks here we have seen the carnage of drug abuse at our young people's 'music' festivals (rock). There has been much publicity about the deaths, hospital cases, the danger of these drugs, whether or not there should be pill testing and the cost of all that to the public health system. However, one wit has provided some relief by way of this brief letter today in our national newspaper, "The Australian", which I wanted to share:

'I notice that overdosed people are not being carried out of Mozart or Beethoven concerts, or the opera. It's time to promote fulfilling artistic experiences and condemn the cause of the problem - musical trash'.

david johnson

Re: "Music" Festivals

Post by david johnson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 am

The quote in bold type seems to talk about concerts, rather than festivals. Of course there would be concerts at festivals, nut the atmospheres are not the same, as far as I can tell.

Belle

Re: "Music" Festivals

Post by Belle » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:03 am

david johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 am
The quote in bold type seems to talk about concerts, rather than festivals. Of course there would be concerts at festivals, nut the atmospheres are not the same, as far as I can tell.
No; it was specifically aimed at pop music festivals where drug overdoses are common. The writer was suggesting this isn't a feature of classical music concerts (which we all knowbut, amazingly, some seem not to!!)