The roots of white supremacism in America: Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s 4-hour documentary history of Reconstruction

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Re: The roots of white supremacism in America: Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s 4-hour documentary history of Reconstruction

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 am

I've been watching this show of his for many years now--very enjoyable and moving. I remember when he, Obama and that Boston policeman sat down for beer! Regards, Len :lol:

"Educator Henry Louis Gates Jr. has hosted several PBS series that examine U.S. history. In "Finding Your Roots," the Harvard professor continues his quest to "get into the DNA of American culture." In each episode, celebrities view ancestral histories, sometimes learn of connections to famous/infamous people, discover secrets, and share the emotional experience with viewers. Analyzing genetic code, DNA diagnosticians trace bloodlines and occasionally debunk long-held beliefs."

jserraglio

Re: The roots of white supremacism in America: Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s 4-hour documentary history of Reconstruction

Post by jserraglio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 am
I've been watching this show of his for many years now--very enjoyable and moving. I remember when he, Obama and that Boston policeman sat down for beer!
Different show. This one, Reconstruction, was just released in April and is a stunning tour de force of popular narrative history.

Essential viewing in order to fully grasp the resurgence of white supremacist tropes and ideology since the election of Barak Obama. Or Trump's appeal to whites who feel marginalized and demonized.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 am
Different show.
Yes I believe I have it on my DVR-just one of many shows on the DVR I just haven't had a chance to watch-the CNN and MSNBC news shows along with the garden have taken up way too much of my time-I blame trump for this-I wish that he be banished to weeding my garden-hope he can do that task better than his so-called draining of the swamp! Regards, Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02 am

Trump's campaign to MAWA (Make America White Again) can be viewed as an outgrowth of the counterrevolution waged against Reconstruction by Southern white supremacists in the late 1870s thru the 1890s. A lot of what is happening with Trumpism today snapped into sharper focus fpr me once I gained a deeper grasp of the half century from 1865 to 1915.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:24 am

I was taught Lee was great but I sure don't buy it now-those statues should come down! Regards, Len :!:

"Trump calls Confederate commander Robert E. Lee a ‘great general’ as Joe Biden attacks his Charlottesville response"

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/26/trump-c ... ponse.html