Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Well, we are all going through the same thing. Hibernating - or I hope so! Funny, being in a position like this in normal circumstances - vacations, time off, etc., we would be listening to lots of music, reading, or watching great movies or DVDs. I am listening to music a lot but seem very unmotivated to do much else but lay low and not even eating with any regularity. During my lifetime, I have never experienced something like this with just about everything shut down except for food stores, pharmacies, and banks (though I hear the latter may change somewhat). Hope you are all safe and doing well hunkered down and enjoying your digs as much as possible. I worry about both, the coronavirus and what's happening to the economy of this great nation and in the world.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Holden Fourth
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:47 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 am

I'm not hibernating and that's not by choice. While Australia has gone into what they call stage 4 lock down, schools remain open and that's not a bad thing when you think about it. A school like ours is a controlled environment. The children have access to all sorts of hygiene regimes (sanitiser, the school is effectively sanitised by our cleaning firm every night, every kid knows about social distancing and practice it without being told.), routines are tight and they are in a known body of people.

Send them home and what happens? Our Year 9s to 12s don't legally require parent supervision when they are home alone. Are they gonna lock themselves down - NFW! They will go out into the general community and are then exposed to an uncontrolled environment.

So I am happy to front up to work every day until the end of term.

Today after work I didn't go to my local for some adult conversation - it's closed! So after work I suppose I am effectively self isolating. Listening to Gilels/Ludwig LvB 4&5 as I write this.

EDIT: Forgot mention the glass of red.

david johnson
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:04 am
Location: ark/mo

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by david johnson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:55 am

Taking it easy here in AR. Listening to a lot of Ormandy, practicing trumpet. Eager for my first novel to be published - supposed to be soon. God bless all :)

Ricordanza
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:58 am
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Ricordanza » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:30 am

Thanks for your concern, Lance. Here in New Jersey, we're still allowed to exercise outside (weather permitting, of course) and I try to take a 30 minute walk each day for my physical and mental health. My iPhone is my usual companion with lots of music loaded. Yesterday, my companion while walking was Schumann's Fantasie, played by Lief Ove Andsnes.

jserraglio
Posts: 6228
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by jserraglio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:24 am

Teaching my classes remotely, they take hours to prepare properly that way. Most of the folks appearing to need adult supervision here in Ohio are actually adults. The kids are fine, on the loose even less than their elders, it appears.

Our public officials, in particular Republican governor, Mike DeWine and his wonderful health director, Dr. Amy Acton have done an impressive job at the state and local level. Right now, the only things moving about unchecked in Ohio are deer and coronavirus.
Last edited by jserraglio on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran
Posts: 15829
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by lennygoran » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 pm
Well, we are all going through the same thing. Hibernating - or I hope so! Funny, being in a position like this in normal circumstances - vacations, time off, etc., we would be listening to lots of music, reading, or watching great movies or DVDs. I am listening to music a lot but seem very unmotivated to do much else but lay low and not even eating with any regularity.
Lance thanks for your concern-Sue and I are maintaining a low profile-lots of TV, reading, etc-Netflix and Amazon Prime are helpful and of course PBS-the gardening is kicking in as well and when the weather is nice it's a pleasure to walk around-stay safe and secure! Regards, Len

Rach3
Posts: 1934
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Rach3 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks for your concern.Pretty much same here in fly-over country.Too late to go to Montana.Ialso concur with Holden's suggestion of a tipple of red, doing my part to help Australia with my cheap Lindeman's. Reported today madman Trump is thinking about relaxing the CDC social distancing, other virus guidelines, because his alt right wing nut advisors are telling him hurting economy too much, ie the cure is worse than the disease.And still wont use the DefenseProcurementAct , leaving States to a hunger games competition, because " may not need it " and " we dont nationalize companies" ( we just give tax breaks,bailouts,have Fed buy their debt, etc. ). What , me worry ?!

maestrob
Posts: 6916
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:01 am

Hello, Lance! Thanks for your concern.

Teresa and I are currently spending our time listening to lots of great music, watching our DVD collection of both movies and operas, and shopping for groceries. I take a short walk every day (it's all I can manage now with my scoliosis). Amazon is my daily companion, searching for more great music, but I don't order more than a few each month now.

Thank God we are in good health!

We miss our CMG meet-ups and other socializing. I guess that will be the situation for all of us for at least a year while the powers-that-be try to figure out how to get us vaccinated safely. While at the NYAC, I had a gent working for me who was a driver in the Army during the 1918 flu pandemic. His stories about that time remind me of what we're going through right now. I do worry about our retirement savings, but the Fed's assurances over the weekend have comforted us both.

Take care all. We will recover from this, as we have in the past.

Be well, Lance! We need you now more than ever!

Brian & Teresa

T. Schurk
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by T. Schurk » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm

I realize that this isn't the airport and I don't have to announce my departure, but I thought I'd give my reason for leaving the group. It's quite simple, I'm sick to death of all the Trump bashing. I guess everyone just assumes that if you enjoy the arts and classical music (I'm a retired professional baritone) that you are automatically a liberal/progressive. People here just don't seem to be able to keep their politics out of any discussion whatsoever. I sure as hell don't want to hear about it anymore. Especially with the crisis at hand. The President was excoriated over his January China travel ban, which has certainly saved countless American lives, and yet here he's the villain. But Dems Schumer and Pelosi can hold up desperately needed stimulus checks for Americans by playing politics with the bill, and they're cheered on. Ridiculous. So, goodbye.

slofstra
Posts: 8973
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm

One reason I was spending a bit more time on CMG again is that I had delegated running my business more and more so I could work on a part-time basis. I haven't had to work all that hard the last few years but with grandchildren just down the street and increased travel and other activities, CMG fell off the schedule. At the beginning of 2020, I redoubled my effort to take time off and focus more on my various hobbies.
But with the coronavirus I am working harder than ever once again. My junior partner who has been doing all the heavy lifting, along with his wife who did all the book-keeping, are locked down with this virus thing, because their young son is immuno-system compromised.
So, I'm back doing all the stuff I had previously delegated. So much for retirement. At this moment I'm in my office, working a Monday, which I had been taking off.
Can't complain really; I do like my work quite a bit, although not the book-keeping (boring).

slofstra
Posts: 8973
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:54 pm

T. Schurk wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm
I realize that this isn't the airport and I don't have to announce my departure, but I thought I'd give my reason for leaving the group. It's quite simple, I'm sick to death of all the Trump bashing. I guess everyone just assumes that if you enjoy the arts and classical music (I'm a retired professional baritone) that you are automatically a liberal/progressive. People here just don't seem to be able to keep their politics out of any discussion whatsoever. I sure as hell don't want to hear about it anymore. Especially with the crisis at hand. The President was excoriated over his January China travel ban, which has certainly saved countless American lives, and yet here he's the villain. But Dems Schumer and Pelosi can hold up desperately needed stimulus checks for Americans by playing politics with the bill, and they're cheered on. Ridiculous. So, goodbye.
I haven't noticed the Trump bashing. Is it in the Corner Pub? If so, just don't go in there. I don't.

Belle
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Belle » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm

T. Schurk wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm
I realize that this isn't the airport and I don't have to announce my departure, but I thought I'd give my reason for leaving the group. It's quite simple, I'm sick to death of all the Trump bashing. I guess everyone just assumes that if you enjoy the arts and classical music (I'm a retired professional baritone) that you are automatically a liberal/progressive. People here just don't seem to be able to keep their politics out of any discussion whatsoever. I sure as hell don't want to hear about it anymore. Especially with the crisis at hand. The President was excoriated over his January China travel ban, which has certainly saved countless American lives, and yet here he's the villain. But Dems Schumer and Pelosi can hold up desperately needed stimulus checks for Americans by playing politics with the bill, and they're cheered on. Ridiculous. So, goodbye.
This is exactly how I feel too and I told Lance this privately. The low resolution thinking is depressing and the PC seems to have occasionally infiltrated music comments too (which is disappointing when I already missed John Francis and our own music group here is suspended). No doubt there will be cheering that Placido Domingo has Covid-19. (Women took the pill and it was a sexual free-for-all from the late 60s. They changed their minds when Trump came to office but they didn't bother to tell men!!) The unedifying spectacle of Nancy Pelosi tearing up that State of the Union speech before the entire world was an image, along with many others, of a lifetime.

I only came back to The Pub to defend appalling publicity about Australia from the activist New York Times, but I feel the same way you do. The leftist group think is silly and shallow and a turn-off. The tide is turning against this, increasingly, too. The least that can be said about it is that it's unsophisticated and unworldly.

Lance does a great job and I'll read his comments occasionally. Be well and thank you Lance!!

jserraglio
Posts: 6228
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by jserraglio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 pm

in normal circumstances ... we would be listening to lots of music, reading, or watching great movies or DVDs. I am listening to music a lot but seem very unmotivated to do much else....
Not listening to classical music much for the past 6 months, but when I am not teaching, I am doing lotsa reading, especially now that our school provides to all faculty and staff the digital print version of the weekday Wall Street Journal. I see now (having the whole thing in front of me, not just the occasional free article) what a helluva great newspaper the WSJ is. Today's edition featured in-depth coverage of China, South Korea, the pandemic, the oil glut, the stock-market crash and Capitol Hill's attempts to respond to it--several stories on each topic. Amazing coverage!

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Well, don't leave us. This is a trying time for everyone and people will vent one way or the other. We need you to feed us in the direction of MUSIC. You have not seen yours truly get on board with any of the politics. So, please reconsider your stance. As I say, we need you here as does the world of music! Stay well and safe, my friend. I can only add that just about every music board I look in on has the same problems. CMG has been around for many years and its primary focus was meant to be MUSIC. We provided the other section for other subjects, books, movies, and I suppose politics will always enter somewhere along the way. As you have probably noticed, I do NOT visit the other board very often.
T. Schurk wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm
I realize that this isn't the airport and I don't have to announce my departure, but I thought I'd give my reason for leaving the group. It's quite simple, I'm sick to death of all the Trump bashing. I guess everyone just assumes that if you enjoy the arts and classical music (I'm a retired professional baritone) that you are automatically a liberal/progressive. People here just don't seem to be able to keep their politics out of any discussion whatsoever. I sure as hell don't want to hear about it anymore. Especially with the crisis at hand. The President was excoriated over his January China travel ban, which has certainly saved countless American lives, and yet here he's the villain. But Dems Schumer and Pelosi can hold up desperately needed stimulus checks for Americans by playing politics with the bill, and they're cheered on. Ridiculous. So, goodbye.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Congratulations, Henry. Looks like you are making the best of your time under these circumstances. Continue to be safe and enthusiastic about music. You have been a long-time CMGer - and it is most appreciated.
slofstra wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm
One reason I was spending a bit more time on CMG again is that I had delegated running my business more and more so I could work on a part-time basis. I haven't had to work all that hard the last few years but with grandchildren just down the street and increased travel and other activities, CMG fell off the schedule. At the beginning of 2020, I redoubled my effort to take time off and focus more on my various hobbies.
But with the coronavirus I am working harder than ever once again. My junior partner who has been doing all the heavy lifting, along with his wife who did all the book-keeping, are locked down with this virus thing, because their young son is immuno-system compromised.
So, I'm back doing all the stuff I had previously delegated. So much for retirement. At this moment I'm in my office, working a Monday, which I had been taking off.
Can't complain really; I do like my work quite a bit, although not the book-keeping (boring).
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello Brian and Teresa. Sounds like you are both making the best of an incredible situation. It's about all any of us can do, though some good friends seem to be going stir-crazy being at home when they are used to going out, restaurants, concerts, etc. The professional musicians I know nationally are having their concerts canceled and they have been preparing for them right along. One pianist was scheduled to play Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto and the Choral Fantasia. Done deal: canceled. And I know many musicians experiencing the same problem. Our wonderful Binghamton University is shut down. However, I have tons of work to be done on 60 pianos, mostly grand and concert grands. So I can work when nobody is around, filing/voicing piano hammers, regulating piano actions, attempting to get the very best out of each piano. That, in itself, is a good reason to work! Then there is the preparation of radio programs, which I adore. So life goes on, a bit problematical, but we are trying to be as safe as possible. Soups, toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc., are still very hard to locate. People are hoarding unbelievably. Continue to stay safe!
maestrob wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:01 am
Hello, Lance! Thanks for your concern.

Teresa and I are currently spending our time listening to lots of great music, watching our DVD collection of both movies and operas, and shopping for groceries. I take a short walk every day (it's all I can manage now with my scoliosis). Amazon is my daily companion, searching for more great music, but I don't order more than a few each month now.

Thank God we are in good health!

We miss our CMG meet-ups and other socializing. I guess that will be the situation for all of us for at least a year while the powers-that-be try to figure out how to get us vaccinated safely. While at the NYAC, I had a gent working for me who was a driver in the Army during the 1918 flu pandemic. His stories about that time remind me of what we're going through right now. I do worry about our retirement savings, but the Fed's assurances over the weekend have comforted us both.

Take care all. We will recover from this, as we have in the past.

Be well, Lance! We need you now more than ever!

Brian & Teresa
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Sue - my heart jumped when I saw you post!!!!! We have missed you more than I can say. I hope you, too, will reconsider and get back to be amongst your caring American friends here! We all know Australia has had a hugely bad time of it with fires, and now you are experiencing the coronavirus. Continue to stay safe and musically minded. {{{Hugs to Down Under!}}}
Belle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm
T. Schurk wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm
I realize that this isn't the airport and I don't have to announce my departure, but I thought I'd give my reason for leaving the group. It's quite simple, I'm sick to death of all the Trump bashing. I guess everyone just assumes that if you enjoy the arts and classical music (I'm a retired professional baritone) that you are automatically a liberal/progressive. People here just don't seem to be able to keep their politics out of any discussion whatsoever. I sure as hell don't want to hear about it anymore. Especially with the crisis at hand. The President was excoriated over his January China travel ban, which has certainly saved countless American lives, and yet here he's the villain. But Dems Schumer and Pelosi can hold up desperately needed stimulus checks for Americans by playing politics with the bill, and they're cheered on. Ridiculous. So, goodbye.
This is exactly how I feel too and I told Lance this privately. The low resolution thinking is depressing and the PC seems to have occasionally infiltrated music comments too (which is disappointing when I already missed John Francis and our own music group here is suspended). No doubt there will be cheering that Placido Domingo has Covid-19. (Women took the pill and it was a sexual free-for-all from the late 60s. They changed their minds when Trump came to office but they didn't bother to tell men!!) The unedifying spectacle of Nancy Pelosi tearing up that State of the Union speech before the entire world was an image, along with many others, of a lifetime.

I only came back to The Pub to defend appalling publicity about Australia from the activist New York Times, but I feel the same way you do. The leftist group think is silly and shallow and a turn-off. The tide is turning against this, increasingly, too. The least that can be said about it is that it's unsophisticated and unworldly.

Lance does a great job and I'll read his comments occasionally. Be well and thank you Lance!!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:55 pm

I love your inspiring attitude. THAT is what should be contagious, not the coronavirus! You are taking the time to enjoy your life, whatever it is … and the glass of red … well, that is sure to help! The rest of your post also makes a lot of sense. Keep on truckin'!
Holden Fourth wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 am
I'm not hibernating and that's not by choice. While Australia has gone into what they call stage 4 lock down, schools remain open and that's not a bad thing when you think about it. A school like ours is a controlled environment. The children have access to all sorts of hygiene regimes (sanitiser, the school is effectively sanitised by our cleaning firm every night, every kid knows about social distancing and practice it without being told.), routines are tight and they are in a known body of people.

Send them home and what happens? Our Year 9s to 12s don't legally require parent supervision when they are home alone. Are they gonna lock themselves down - NFW! They will go out into the general community and are then exposed to an uncontrolled environment.

So I am happy to front up to work every day until the end of term.

Today after work I didn't go to my local for some adult conversation - it's closed! So after work I suppose I am effectively self isolating. Listening to Gilels/Ludwig LvB 4&5 as I write this.

EDIT: Forgot mention the glass of red.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Worry? Something we are all doing, but I hear it can cause stress, possible strokes, and who knows what else. Anyway, thinking of all of you. I like this thread very much because it is like actually like talking to real people. I hope we hear from more.
Rach3 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:54 am
Thanks for your concern.Pretty much same here in fly-over country.Too late to go to Montana.Ialso concur with Holden's suggestion of a tipple of red, doing my part to help Australia with my cheap Lindeman's. Reported today madman Trump is thinking about relaxing the CDC social distancing, other virus guidelines, because his alt right wing nut advisors are telling him hurting economy too much, ie the cure is worse than the disease.And still wont use the DefenseProcurementAct , leaving States to a hunger games competition, because " may not need it " and " we dont nationalize companies" ( we just give tax breaks,bailouts,have Fed buy their debt, etc. ). What , me worry ?!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18479
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Joe, it sounds like you've got things under reasonably good control doing what you want. It is a time to catch up on good books. Too much TV makes us fat! (But I'm glad I have it, fat or no fat.) I agree about the WSJ. To say I am not "worried" about the USA economy would be an understatement. There are people/countries to seem to be much worse off than us.
jserraglio wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 pm
in normal circumstances ... we would be listening to lots of music, reading, or watching great movies or DVDs. I am listening to music a lot but seem very unmotivated to do much else....
Not listening to classical music much for the past 6 months, but when I am not teaching, I am doing lotsa reading, especially now that our school provides to all faculty and staff the digital print version of the weekday Wall Street Journal. I see now (having the whole thing in front of me, not just the occasional free article) what a helluva great newspaper the WSJ is. Today's edition featured in-depth coverage of China, South Korea, the pandemic, the oil glut, the stock-market crash and Capitol Hill's attempts to respond to it--several stories on each topic. Amazing coverage!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

jserraglio
Posts: 6228
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by jserraglio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Lance wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Too much TV makes us fat!
Never watched tv growing up, I was not allowed, but cannot claim the deprivation made me slender.

lennygoran
Posts: 15829
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by lennygoran » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Belle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm
which is disappointing when I already missed John Francis and our own music group here is suspended). No doubt there will be cheering that Placido Domingo has Covid-19.
Belle your comments are just ridiculous-when Trump was elected John said he no longer considered himself an American-no one felt more strongly against trump than John. Your comments on Domingo are as nonsensical as when trump said the coronavirus was a hoax. Sorry but I have to say your comments are over the top and shame on you. Len :x :x :x

barney
Posts: 4096
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by barney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 pm
Belle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm
which is disappointing when I already missed John Francis and our own music group here is suspended). No doubt there will be cheering that Placido Domingo has Covid-19.
Belle your comments are just ridiculous-when Trump was elected John said he no longer considered himself an American-no one felt more strongly against trump than John. Your comments on Domingo are as nonsensical as when trump said the coronavirus was a hoax. Sorry but I have to say your comments are over the top and shame on you. Len :x :x :x
I don't know why Sue would say that. She could easily check the thread on Domingo and the virus, which has comments from me and you and Chalkie, all lamenting his unfortunate illness. Not one CMGer has cheered it. In this case, the problem is definitely Sue's.

SONNET CLV
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Paradise, Montana

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by SONNET CLV » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:48 am

I'd been down in the listenin' room for so long (all those big box sets to get through) that I didn't know anything was going on until I came up for some air and was told to go back down into the listenin' room till the air cleared again. Could be a while. But there's all those big box sets. I guess I'll just start over at the beginning and comb through them once again. As long as the electricity holds out.

All the best to all of you Classical Music fans. Stay safe, stay healthy. One of these days we can all join in for a hearty chorus of "Freude, schöner Götterfunken." (Me? I'll spend some of the time beefin' up on my German pronunciations.)

Ricordanza
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:58 am
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:46 am

slofstra wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm
One reason I was spending a bit more time on CMG again is that I had delegated running my business more and more so I could work on a part-time basis. I haven't had to work all that hard the last few years but with grandchildren just down the street and increased travel and other activities, CMG fell off the schedule. At the beginning of 2020, I redoubled my effort to take time off and focus more on my various hobbies.
Henry,

I did notice, with pleasure, that you were posting again on CMG. Glad to have you back among the group.

The other Henry (or Hank to my friends)

Ricordanza
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:58 am
Location: Southern New Jersey, USA

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 am

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 am
Lance thanks for your concern-Sue and I are maintaining a low profile-lots of TV, reading, etc-Netflix and Amazon Prime are helpful and of course PBS-the gardening is kicking in as well and when the weather is nice it's a pleasure to walk around-stay safe and secure! Regards, Len
Len, guess you won't be going out to dinner for your birthday. Nevertheless, my best wishes for your birthday....and many more!
Hank

Belle
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Belle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:13 am

barney wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 pm
lennygoran wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 pm
Belle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 pm
which is disappointing when I already missed John Francis and our own music group here is suspended). No doubt there will be cheering that Placido Domingo has Covid-19.
Belle your comments are just ridiculous-when Trump was elected John said he no longer considered himself an American-no one felt more strongly against trump than John. Your comments on Domingo are as nonsensical as when trump said the coronavirus was a hoax. Sorry but I have to say your comments are over the top and shame on you. Len :x :x :x
I don't know why Sue would say that. She could easily check the thread on Domingo and the virus, which has comments from me and you and Chalkie, all lamenting his unfortunate illness. Not one CMGer has cheered it. In this case, the problem is definitely Sue's.
Sorry about the accusation about Domingo; I didn't see that thread.

The rest I stand by completely.

lennygoran
Posts: 15829
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:14 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 am
Len, guess you won't be going out to dinner for your birthday. Nevertheless, my best wishes for your birthday....and many more!
Hank
Hanks so kind of you-thanks so much-you're right-we won't be going out to any restaurants for some time-we were lucky to have gotten to the Philly flower show in early March-since then we've been cancelling events away from home like crazy-stay safe and healthy! Regards, Len

Belle
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Belle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:25 am

"Shame on you", Len? That's a sadly bullying and hectoring comment.

Rach3
Posts: 1934
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by Rach3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:43 am

Some in the GOP have a plan for us old timers:
https://news.yahoo.com/texas-lt-gov-dan ... 00858.html
He should be jailed.

Trump's drug cure :
https://twnews.us/us-news/man-dies-afte ... -treatment


Lunatic Trump wants to re-start the economy now ! Of course, as it is reported 6 of his 7 top revenue producing properties are closed from the virus. Hard to make payments on his Russian-funded Deutsche Bank loans.

jserraglio
Posts: 6228
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by jserraglio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

In the interest of maintaining regular order during these irregular, chaotic times, may I suggest, respectfully, that Lance move the political stuff in this thread, from both the New Right and the Old Left, over to the Pub forum?

maestrob
Posts: 6916
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am

jserraglio wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am
In the interest of maintaining regular order during these irregular, chaotic times, may I suggest, respectfully, that Lance move the political stuff in this thread, from both the New Right and the Old Left, over to the Pub forum?
Agreed.

T. Schurk
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by T. Schurk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:43 am
Some in the GOP have a plan for us old timers:
https://news.yahoo.com/texas-lt-gov-dan ... 00858.html
He should be jailed.

Trump's drug cure :
https://twnews.us/us-news/man-dies-afte ... -treatment
And here is a perfect example of the political shitpostong that is the reason I'm leaving. We don't want to know your opinion about politics. How dense can you be? Perhaps you should try a self awareness group. Sounds like a good plan.

Lunatic Trump wants to re-start the economy now ! Of course, as it is reported 6 of his 7 top revenue producing properties are closed from the virus. Hard to make payments on his Russian-funded Deutsche Bank loans.

slofstra
Posts: 8973
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just checking in with my CMGers ...

Post by slofstra » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm

I have loved this scene from 'Bend it Like Beckham' since I first saw it a couple of decades ago. The father wants his daughter to take an opportunity that he had given up. The father had been a good cricketer on the English team but when he encountered racist resistance, he quit in protest.
"Who suffered, only me", he opines, when he quit as he did.
Over the years I've seen a number of contributors become upset over one thing or another and leave. But the only one who suffers, is you. Sure, we miss your contributions, but the music and discussion continue. If you like to discuss music, why would you just give that up?


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests