Trump approval rating in Gallup poll takes nose dive as 60% of women give Trump 'thumbs down'

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Trump approval rating in Gallup poll takes nose dive as 60% of women give Trump 'thumbs down'

Post by jserraglio » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:19 pm

MIAMI HERALD Trump approval rating has sharpest drop in presidency, big gender gap in Gallup poll https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.herald ... 92306.html

barney

Re: Trump approval rating in Gallup poll takes nose dive as 60% of women give Trump 'thumbs down'

Post by barney » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:10 pm

The latest Gallup poll also shows that a large percentage of women also disapprove of Trump compared to men. 37% of women approve of Trump and 60% disapprove while 49% of men approve and 47% disapprove.
Can it really be true that 49% of American men have had a lobotomy?

Barry

Re: Trump approval rating in Gallup poll takes nose dive as 60% of women give Trump 'thumbs down'

Post by Barry » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm

As someone who has followed the approval polls on real clear politics regularly throughout Trump's presidency, I can tell you that 43 percent is about average for where he has been in Gallup. His 49 percent rating in the previous poll was the one that was an outlier.

However, Gallup is generally one of the lower ones. His average among all of the polls is still higher than it's been - on average - throughout his presidency, as is the case in a handful of other polls, some of which have him nearly as high as he's been since taking office.

It's not that at all Barney. If you believe in something resembling traditional America, it's virtually impossible to support the Democrats. I don't care who is running against them. I've tried to get that across to you. Their way of thinking, for the most part, is so far out in left field in our judgement that voting to have them in power is not an option.

I know Joe Biden has been relatively moderate through much of his career, but he's not setting the Democratic agenda at this point. Look how far to the left he has to go to try to keep his party together.

The Democrats are a party that are increasingly moving in the direction of placing more value on transgender rights and rights for people who are in the country illegally than core first amendment rights like the free exercise of religion and freedom of speech (polling increasingly shows young left-wingers don't place nearly as much value on freedom of speech as previous generations and they are increasingly pushing the Democratic agenda). Thank God Trump has placed numerous federal judges that will safeguard those rights on the bench during his presidency. He'll completely remake the federal judiciary if he gets another four years. He's been appointing judges at record pace during his first term.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:53 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:19 pm
MIAMI HERALD Trump approval rating has sharpest drop in presidency, big gender gap in Gallup poll https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.herald ... 92306.html
May this trend downward only continue-another 4 years of trump and we might not be a democracy anymore-the man is dangerous. I guess this is similar to what happened in South Africa-America's future seems very much to be in the balance-one more Supreme Court pick from him might be enough to hold back America for generations. Okay I also hope he loses so we can see those tax returns-Michael Cohen is out of jail-does he have anymore tapes! Now with liberate, liberate, liberate how much harder is it gonna be to put out Corona and when do the demonstrations he's encouraging turn to riots? Regards, Len :(

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 am

Barry wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm
As someone who has followed the approval polls on real clear politics regularly throughout Trump's presidency, I can tell you that 43 percent is about average for where he has been in Gallup.
We are asked to believe that "average" leadership in perhaps the greatest crisis since World War II is good enough. Next I suppose we will be told that California's wildfires make for good outdoor barbecues.

Sorry, but in a crisis, "average" performance (and calling it average is being generous) is not good enough.

In a crisis the American people historically rally around their President. Not this time. This time a crisis President's 43% rating is deemed "average" whereas his higher 49% approval rating prior to that is dismissed as the "outlier!" This presumably was meant to be taken as serious political analysis.

Next the Dems, led by one Joe Biden who has been a lifelong moderate, are said to be too far out in left field. This broadside shot comes from one who supports a party that has been hijacked by radicals of the New Right, whose anti-gov't program of inaction has already cost lives in the past two months.

Will the pot never cease calling the kettle black?
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:45 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 am
Next I suppose we will be told that California's wildfires make good outdoor barbecues.
Well at least trump got that right-yeah sure Len! :x

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/11/trump ... wildfires/

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:23 am

Barry wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm
As someone who has followed the approval polls on real clear politics regularly throughout Trump's presidency, I can tell you that 43 percent is about average for where he has been in Gallup. His 49 percent rating in the previous poll was the one that was an outlier.

However, Gallup is generally one of the lower ones. His average among all of the polls is still higher than it's been - on average - throughout his presidency, as is the case in a handful of other polls, some of which have him nearly as high as he's been since taking office.

It's not that at all Barney. If you believe in something resembling traditional America, it's virtually impossible to support the Democrats. I don't care who is running against them. I've tried to get that across to you. Their way of thinking, for the most part, is so far out in left field in our judgement that voting to have them in power is not an option.

I know Joe Biden has been relatively moderate through much of his career, but he's not setting the Democratic agenda at this point. Look how far to the left he has to go to try to keep his party together.

The Democrats are a party that are increasingly moving in the direction of placing more value on transgender rights and rights for people who are in the country illegally than core first amendment rights like the free exercise of religion and freedom of speech (polling increasingly shows young left-wingers don't place nearly as much value on freedom of speech as previous generations and they are increasingly pushing the Democratic agenda). Thank God Trump has placed numerous federal judges that will safeguard those rights on the bench during his presidency. He'll completely remake the federal judiciary if he gets another four years. He's been appointing judges at record pace during his first term.
You've made a good call here. Every time Trump sticks it to the man his base goes wild and the left melts down. They just want him to put the two fingers up to desperately debilitating PC and woke politics absolutely light years away from the "deplorables". We have that kind of scorn for the working class here in Australia and from the very party which once looked after their interests.

I've still got an image of that insolence in the White House press conference where that reporter, wearing gloves and carrying a sneer, asked Trump how he would rate himself during the Covid-19 campaign. Trump fell right into the trap; he should have ignored that question. And these are the people who get upset when Trump triggers them. I'd do it myself if that were possible, such obnoxious little groupies as they are. Democracy at work, aye.

I remember some decades ago when "Time" Magazine was in full song; a picture appeared of staff working for a newly elected President (cannot remember who). A letter appeared the following week in the same magazine, "get your feet off the desk"!!!

If the people want a leader who is respectful then they need to behave that way themselves. In the meantime, leaders are chosen from amongst the population, reflecting its faults and failings and, to my certain knowledge, do not come from Mars. If you want better leaders then first look in the mirror.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:14 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:45 am
Well at least trump got that right
In your heart you know he's right (wing that is).

Mister Trump's the kinda guy that would set a speed limit on an interstate highway at 25 mph, then charge everybody who goes over that with speeding. That's what his immigration policy amounts to.

You see, Mr. Trump's the kinda guy who . . .

• calls for the free exercise of religion but in the same breath denigrates Muslims.

• pays lip service to a free press while hurling ad hominem attacks at any reporter that dares to ask him a sharply worded question.

• advocates the right to vote but reserves absentee voting for himself.

• believes in individual liberty under the law but directs the fed gov't to roll back protection of the rights of transgender people.

• vilifies immigrants as illegals or worse while violating the law by separating children from parents and obstructing asylum seekers.

• foments defiance of his own gov't's stay-at-home orders and calls it exercising the right of free speech and assembly.

• labels a standard Virginia background check law as a violation of 2nd amendment rights to keep and bear arms.

Yep, Trump is a Catch-22, Col. Cathcart kinda guy.

And those Dems, they're so "far out in left field", nobody in their right mind could support even a centrist like Joe Biden.

Even if Biden's opponent is somebody GOP Senate Leader Mitch McConnell despises and privately calls "nuts".

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:24 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:14 am
Well at least trump got that right
In your heart you know he's right (wing that is).
[/quote]

Joseph great job with this-you've outdone yourself! And yet you don't hate him-I sure do. Regards, Len :(

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 am

Correction: Trump's a Catch-22, Lt. Scheisskopf kinda guy. He believes in parades, but when it comes to combat, fogeddabout.

Case in point.

On Thursday he arrogates to himself "total" authority over Congress and state governors.

On Friday, wilting under withering criticism from the Far Right, he tells the governors and Congress to call their own shots.

Come to think of it, he's not so much like Col. Cathcart or Lt. Scheisskopf either, as he is like Milo Minderbinder, a practioner of the politics of disruption, code-named OBJECTIVE SNAFU, i.e., Situation-Normal-All-Fucked-Up.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:42 am
Correction: Trump's a Catch-22, Lt. Scheisskopf kinda guy. He believes in parades, but when it comes to combat, fogeddabout.
Yeah but he sure believes in bone spurs! Regards, Len

BTW before I run and hide you're not doing that well-you have 16000 lies to work with and this is all you've come up with so far! :lol: :lol: :lol: [the sun is out-I'm going out to mow!]

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 am

Re: political leaders and approval polls.

My very conservative GOP governor, Mike DeWine will get my vote in the next election cycle.

DeWine's approval rating in Ohio is 80%. That is the kind of approval you get when you lead and take action in a crisis. Mister Trump's 43% is what you get when you fail to extract a tiny thumb from an expansive derrière.

Yes, we Americans can strike an outsider as brash and "insolent". Additionally, we insolent Americans resent being lectured about deportment by an outsider who adopts the tone of a post-Victorian schoolmaster.

Impolite maybe, but not impolitic. American news reporters are not yet constrained by custom to ask deferential questions. In America, the people still rule. And those elected to serve them must interpret their wishes as commands.

Those wishes will be heard loud and clear come November.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:24 am

Quite the leap of logic to extend the average of polling numbers to "average leadership or performance." What's your next trick?

I just checked. There are 13 job approval polls for Trump currently listed on Real Clear Politics. The 43 percent for Gallup is the lowest number. The other 12 are all higher than that.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Barry wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:24 am
Quite the leap of logic to extend the average of polling numbers to "average leadership or performance." What's your next trick?

I just checked. There are 13 job approval polls for Trump currently listed on Real Clear Politics. The 43 percent for Gallup is the lowest number. The other 12 are all higher than that.
I wonder if they, like you Barry, are nearly completely happy with a President single-handedly responsible for the deaths of thousands because he chose to interpret COVID-19 as Democratic hoax to lessen his election chances.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 pm
Barry wrote:

I wonder if they, like you Barry, are nearly completely happy with a President single-handedly responsible for the deaths of thousands because he chose to interpret COVID-19 as Democratic hoax to lessen his election chances.
My view of the situation is a bit more nuanced than that, Barney.

First, only rabid anti-Trumpers whose minds are warped by their hatred can possibly think he is single-handedly responsible for the deaths of thousands. Not only does that ignore what China did, but it also ignores how damaged our political system is.

As I've pointed out, many, if not most leading Democrats pounded him for acting prematurely and being xenophobic when he shut down incoming flights from China. That was a drop in the bucket compared to the reaction that would have ensued if he shut the country and economy down a month earlier than he did. There is no way the Democrats would have behaved like responsible Americans and gotten on board with that. They'd have taken the opportunity to crucify him.

We have become so polarized that neither side is willing to refrain from taking political advantage when the other does something necessary, but unpopular. That's not Trump's fault.

You seem to think that nearly half the population is completley nuts and has no valid reason whatsoever for thinking Trump is preferable to the Democrats. Frankly, you're not really in a position to make that judgement.

I can assure you, we have very good reasons for feeling as we do. As I've been pointing out, it's got a lot to do with thinking the country went WAY off the rails from a cultural standpoint in the years before Trump took office.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:16 pm

Barry wrote:
Nothing tricky about it. They are are clearly related. One would expect the average to increase as it always does for a President during a crisis as people rally round his leadership.

By your own admission it did not—the 49% bump in his approval was an "outlier", you reckon.

Reasonable and logical conclusion to be drawn: the American people have expressed no more confidence in Mr Trump's leadership after the epidemic than they did before. He maintained on average a rating of his leadership as average at best. I am contending that is not nearly good enough in a moment of national tragedy.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm

And I'm contending that 95 percent of the country is so dug in on Trump, that it's a miracle that he got a small bump in the early days of the crisis.

NOTHING significantly moves this guy's polling numbers.

What you did was what the mainstream media has become expert at during the Trump era. They cherry-pick an isolated bit of information that supports the overall narrative they're trying to get out and ignore the bulk of the evidence that would have contradicted their narrative. It had a lot to do with why people were so shocked when Trump won.They weren't getting all of the important information.

That's what we've come to as a country.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Jejune appeals to chimerical notions like the American Way of Life and the Mainstream Media are standard ploys employed by the radical New Right. I watch Fox News a lot (my wife screams at me for doing that!) and hear these tricks used all the time.

Nothing wrong with rhetoric, but one can only point it out when it is used against you. It does not in and of itself constitute an argument, just a persuasive device.

I will say though that if a national tragedy of the proportions we faced this March and April cannot move Trumps's approval numbers northward, then it's difficult to imagine what ever could. That may not bother you but by all accounts it eats away at HIM. It is not exactly the best of news for his candidacy.

The upcoming election will be nothing like the last one. It will be a referendum on Mr. Trump, up or down, and he knows it.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:34 pm

It's like you're Maher and I'm Crenshaw.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Barry wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:34 pm
It's like you're Maher and I'm Crenshaw.
I'll take that as a compliment b/c honestly I have no idea who either of these guys are. Oops, I guess I have heard of Maher cuz my lefty wife watches him online. The only TV I watch are movies, PBS and the 3 major 24/7 cable news outlets.

I love arguing about politics. Confessions of a misprint youth. I voted Goldwater for President and frequented John Birch Society meetings in the early 60's.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Excerpts from WAPO’s newsletter today, with links to the sources if you are interested, displaying the lies and criminal recklessness of Trump and the GOP:

https://tinyurl.com/y8oakyka :

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) mocked California's beach bans and said, “I think we’ve got to be promoting people to get exercise.”

President Trump has tacitly encouraged the anti-quarantine movement. “I just think that some of the governors have gotten carried away” with restrictions, he said Saturday. “America’s testing capability and capacity is fully sufficient to begin opening the country.”

Meanwhile, more evidence has emerged that the Trump administration was warned about the coronavirus threat. Americans at the World Health Organization gave real-time information to the White House, undercutting the president's charge that the WHO’s failure to communicate the extent of the threat, out of a desire to protect China, is largely responsible for the rapid spread of the virus in the United States.

Serious problems are being reported with a new generation of tests flooding U.S. markets. The Food and Drug Administration allowed more than 90 brands of unvetted antibody tests to be sold to hospitals and acknowledges that some of them may be inaccurate or fraudulent. The tests are supposed to identify people who have been exposed to the virus, but health experts fear they may be giving false results. “Having many inaccurate tests is worse than having no tests at all,” the director of infectious disease programs at the Association of Public Health Laboratories told The Post.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Barry wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 pm
barney wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 pm
Barry wrote:

My view of the situation is a bit more nuanced than that, Barney.

First, only rabid anti-Trumpers whose minds are warped by their hatred can possibly think he is single-handedly responsible for the deaths of thousands. Not only does that ignore what China did, but it also ignores how damaged our political system is.

As I've pointed out, many, if not most leading Democrats pounded him for acting prematurely and being xenophobic when he shut down incoming flights from China. That was a drop in the bucket compared to the reaction that would have ensued if he shut the country and economy down a month earlier than he did. There is no way the Democrats would have behaved like responsible Americans and gotten on board with that. They'd have taken the opportunity to crucify him.

We have become so polarized that neither side is willing to refrain from taking political advantage when the other does something necessary, but unpopular. That's not Trump's fault.

You seem to think that nearly half the population is completley nuts and has no valid reason whatsoever for thinking Trump is preferable to the Democrats. Frankly, you're not really in a position to make that judgement.

I can assure you, we have very good reasons for feeling as we do. As I've been pointing out, it's got a lot to do with thinking the country went WAY off the rails from a cultural standpoint in the years before Trump took office.
I am certainly an anti-Trumper, though I rather resent the term rabid. I'm not foaming at the mouth or diseased. I've also agreed with you about China and the WHO, both of whom are unquestionably at fault.

Why I say Trump is responsible is because he deliberately downplayed the threat for his own political reasons. In Australia, where the government acted swiftly, responsibly and utterly unlike that vacuous moron, we have had 60 deaths. We are about a fifteenth of the population, so if we had the population of the States that would equate to 900 or so deaths. You of course are in the tens of thousands.

The main difference is between a responsible government in Australia and a narcissistic thug in the US. That's why I say he is responsible. He did not begin the problem but he immensely compounded it. Had he acted like Australia, you might barely have had more than 1000. It was his vacillating and delaying and - as usual - looking at everything only through the lens of his own ego. Seeing as we are being blunt, if I am rabid, you are blind to only be "not completely happy". Such an understatement makes me wonder about the moral compass of someone who could say that, for whom partisan politics and the defence of a culpable buffoon is far more important than saving human lives. It seems to me that rage and resentment fuels the Right in the US as much as it does in Australia.

Now, for the nth time, I have advanced reasons for the positions I hold. You are, like others of the Right, simply reverting to ad hominem attacks and slamming the Democrats. I have no interest in defending the Democrats, but on the issues we are discussing they are irrelevant. Do you have any reasonable answers as well?

Finally, as a frequent visitor to the US (which I love very much, including the many Republicans I have met), and an avid consumer of US media, I'm not totally in the dark. Yes, it was an idiotic overstatement to say 49% of American men are stupid, and I apologise for that. Perhaps I was foaming at the mouth after all.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:24 pm

PS, Barry, I still have The Flight 93 article live on my screen, and hope to read it today.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:07 am

Barry, you never actually answer the questions, do you? You come at a tangent where you scapegoat someone else: China, the Democrats, Trump-haters. And they may be blameworthy, but they are irrelevant to the discussion. The technique is: don't look here, where there is a real problem; no, no, look over there.
I'll stop challenging you now. I don't believe you actually have any answers, just a set of attitudes based on resentment. You can't actually defend Trump because he is indefensible, but you can't bring yourself to admit it. I find this resentment motivation is actually typical of the Right. And, actually, of the Left too, especially in its woke incarnation. You are both exponents of grievance culture.