Re-opening issues

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Re-opening issues

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:01 am

Best ,most comprehensive analysis on re-opening I've read to date:

https://tinyurl.com/y996lu4h

Barry

Re: Re-opening issues

Post by Barry » Mon May 11, 2020 11:37 am

I just found out this morning that I'll likely continue to work at home until at least September. And even when people at my office go back, it will be with a lot of restrictions; the most notable being that we will still be working much of the time at home and only going into the office for limited shifts and not every day in order to allow people to maintain distance.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm

NYT 5/12:

" Just three days after some restrictions were relaxed in South Korea, the mayor of Seoul ordered nightspots closed indefinitely after more than 100 new cases emerged from one infected man’s visits to bars and clubs.
In Germany, which has moved into its second major phase of reopening, a measure of viral spread known as R0 has ticked above a crucial threshold for three straight days.
Six new cases have been reported in Wuhan, China, where the global pandemic began. The city has ordered that all 11 million residents be tested in the next 10 days."

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm

BAKERY: We refuse to serve gay people.
CONSERVATIVES: That is their right!
BAKERY: We refuse to serve anyone not wearing a mask.
CONSERVATIVES: You’re violating our rights!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm

New Yorker Magazine article today on Oregon:

“Now it seemed that the independence, the insistence that no one needs the state, meant freedom from any regard for fellow-citizens.”

https://tinyurl.com/yd5jltfq

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Been to Storm Lake,IA recently ? Warning,would be hazardous to your health. We have Trump suckup GOP Governor and Senators ( until November):

https://tinyurl.com/ybbrj5k3

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Awful news from Minneapolis overnight, Australian time. Riots, looting, fires left to burn, fire trucks stoned. And of course the awful death that sparked it.
Sometimes it seems to me that the US is dismantling before our very eyes.
How America needs a leader, someone with a soul, some one interested in uniting the country rather than urging the spasms. Historians will say - IMHO - that the biggest tragedy of the 21st century for the US was the Trump presidency.
Is worse racial violence possible? Am I just being alarmist?

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 31, 2020 7:25 am

Well I guess it didn't take many hours for my question to be answered.
I don't know where next for the US; it is tearing itself apart.

I am morally certain that China will be looking to take advantage of the US self-immolation,stirring the pot with cyber stirring and hacking, and possibly planning to attack Taiwan.
Against that, I was interested to see tensions rising sharply between China and India over border incursions. Maybe China won't want to bite off too much just now.

I can't help wondering whether Belle and Barry are still celebrating Trump's inspirational leadership. What a man! He'll save America. *

* Not.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun May 31, 2020 7:31 am

barney wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:25 am
Trump's inspirational leadership. What a man! He'll save America. *

* Not.
Barney what about this idea of his:

Trump Suggests ‘MAGA’ Fans Gather at White House, While Threatening to Clamp Down on Demonstrations With Military

https://time.com/5845533/trump-george-f ... ite-house/

Regards, Len :(

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Yes Len, as I said, what a leader. Working to heal wounds, improve unity, present an example of hard work and compassion. But wait, there's golf to be played.
I'd like to be sarcastic, but he's such a parody it doesn't work. Is there anything at all where he is not a monumental failure as a person, as a human being?
Loved what the Washington mayor said. I think she nailed it: "Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser rebuked the president in her own series of tweets, calling him “a scared man. Afraid/alone” and saying she stood with people peacefully protesting the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis this week."

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:26 am

barney wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm
Is there anything at all where he is not a monumental failure as a person, as a human being?
Barney I'm concerned that these riots have taken our minds off of his monumental corona failure-meantime I wonder how much higher the corona peak will be because of all the rioters standing so close to each other and some without masks? Regards, Len :(

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:18 am

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:26 am
barney wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm
Is there anything at all where he is not a monumental failure as a person, as a human being?
Barney I'm concerned that these riots have taken our minds off of his monumental corona failure-meantime I wonder how much higher the corona peak will be because of all the rioters standing so close to each other and some without masks? Regards, Len :(
Fair point, Len. And, as I opined before, I am deeply concerned that China will profit from this, as they already seem to be. As one columnist wrote, the US no longer has the strength or will for another cold war, which requires unity and determination. China has that in spades, the US is too busy tearing itself apart. I fear you will be a second-tier power, like Germany or Russia (ie, not negligible, but not vital), in a decade, while one of the most repulsive regimes in history, the CCP, dominates the world. And Australia, which has slavishly followed US policy for decades, will be left high and dry. But even that would be far better than Australia aligning itself with China.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:38 am

The NYT science writer Donald McNeil sums up the self-centered,spoiled,narcisstic attitude prevalent here:

“But I think a lot of states reopened pretty willy-nilly after pressure from small businesses and citizens who were out of work and frustrated by lockdown and who had not seen the virus hit anyone they knew yet,” Donald told us. “A lot of those states — Texas, Florida, Arizona, North and South Carolina, etc. — are now seeing cases and hospitalizations rise.”

1776: " I regret that I have but one life to give for my Country." 2020: " I regret that you have but one life to give for me."

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:57 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:38 am
The NYT science writer Donald McNeil sums up the self-centered,spoiled,narcisstic attitude prevalent here:
I've seen him interviewed a lot on MSNBC-very impressed by him! Regards, Len

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 am

NO doubt the pandemic has caused huge, very real economic problems for many, but too many Americans not suffering such effects ( about 75 % of the workforce recently) are ignoring the science, predictions,guidelines. Despite short - term benefits, and as traumatic as pandemic has been, those affected may want to consider the longer-term effects if premature re-openings lead to more illnesses ( including effect of their own illness or their families' or their customers' or their employees' or their employers' or their co-employees' ) , lead to overwhelmed health care systems, lead to lack of public confidence that any activity is safe ; and if re-openings lead to delays in developing vaccines or cures , or lead to illness loads that overwhelm cure supplies or render vaccines too late.Small businesses in some States are now reportedly re-closing after customers infected their employees.A bad response to the pandemic effects may not be better than no response.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 am
A bad response to the pandemic effects may not be better than no response.
https://people.com/health/health-care-w ... orida-bar/