Gladys Cooper, English actress

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Gladys Cooper, English actress

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:42 pm

I have just finished reading a biography of this marvelous actress, Gladys Cooper, written by her grandson, Sheridan Morley (son of actor Robert Morley). I have long recognized her wondrous acting abilities from the first time I ever saw any of her movies. But the one that grabbed my heart was her portrayal of the mother of Bette Davis in Now, Voyager. Cooper was considered one of England's most beautiful women. She spent about three or so decades in America living mostly in California, but never achieved the grand success in movies as she did as a stage actress-manager in England. The biography is very well written and if you love character actors, this one is like living her life with her. Other fine movies were [i[The Secret Garden,[/i] and Mrs. Parkington. She also appeared with Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady. Are there any movies you are aware of that would be considered "must see" featuring Dame Gladys Cooper? Sheridan Morley was a writer producing many books during his lifetime.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]