Truckin' with the Trumpers: The Deplorables hitch one last ride on the Trump train

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Truckin' with the Trumpers: The Deplorables hitch one last ride on the Trump train

Post by jserraglio » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 pm

BBC News

The ‘Trump train’: 'I'm tired of people putting down our president'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... a-54238592

lennygoran

Re: Truckin' with the Trumpers: The Deplorables hitch one last ride on the Trump train

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:28 am

That goes nicely with last night's news. Regards, Len :(

Trump Refuses to Commit to ‘A Peaceful Transfer of All Power’ After Election

President Trump, during a news conference at the White House Wednesday evening, refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power after the November election.

Asked by a reporter whether he would “commit here today for a peaceful transfer of all power after the election,” noting the violence that has arisen in some cities, Mr. Trump demurred. “We’re going to have to see what happens,” he said. “You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster.”

“We want to get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful — there won’t be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation,” he added. “The ballots are out of control. You know it. And you know who knows it better than anybody else? The Democrats know it better than anyone else.”

It was the latest attack on mail-in voting by Mr. Trump, who has made unfounded claims that voting by absentee ballot is rife with fraud.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/09/23 ... e=Homepage

barney

Re: Truckin' with the Trumpers: The Deplorables hitch one last ride on the Trump train

Post by barney » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:47 am

Is the US Supreme Court so politicised that it would allow Trump to steal the election on party grounds?
Australia's Supreme Court - or, rather, High Court, as here the Supreme Courts are lower bodies - operates according to the law rather than politics, even if there have been notably activist judges. If Trump were Australian, I would not be concerned that the court would side with him because a majority of the judges were conservative - they would have a higher duty to the law. Is it not the same in the US?

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:04 pm

barney wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:47 am
Is the US Supreme Court so politicised that it would allow Trump to steal the election on party grounds?
Australia's Supreme Court - or, rather, High Court, as here the Supreme Courts are lower bodies - operates according to the law rather than politics, even if there have been notably activist judges. If Trump were Australian, I would not be concerned that the court would side with him because a majority of the judges were conservative - they would have a higher duty to the law. Is it not the same in the US?
It’s not that simple. In the US, the Constitution, as interpreted by the Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore, theoretically allows a state legislature like Florida’s to call a halt to or even cancel the popular vote in its state when the outcome is in dispute and Instead send its own handpicked slate of electors to the Electoral College.
Article II, § 1, cl. 2 wrote:Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors ...
And there are a lot of tossup states controlled by Republicans — Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Iowa and Texas all have Republican legislatures.

Doughboy in his presser yesterday night called on the courts to “get rid of the ballots“ and assure a “continuation” of power. And then went on to say that is exactly why he wants to install a ninth justice before the election, so his “Supremes” can re-install him in office in what he calls a “peaceful transition of power.”
Last edited by jserraglio on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm

This alt-right Kool-Aid is spiked indeed — with laugh lines.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 pm

O'Neill has described himself as a 'lapsed Marxist'. There's a great deal of truth in what he says, particularly in this article. I don't always agree with him - I don't have to - but the fact is that the Left is now so appalling that all the oxygen is spent dealing with them rather than having an adult discussion on the short-comings of conservatives. This was the cohort, after all, which enabled the Left's march through the institutions and it's their weakness which has lead to the current political disruption and division. They allowed violent identitarian politics out of the blocks, not challenging its very dodgy precepts/assumptions. Along comes Trump - who doesn't care whether anybody likes him or not - and he says what many people are already thinking but are too afraid to utter. Ergo, the real fascism is the one which denies people freedom to speak or behave beyond the orthodoxies; that cancels people and destroys their career when they're brave enough to do so. It really is terrifying.

And, of course, the truth is the most terrifying of all. That famous alt-right figure Dr. Thomas Sowell says "the Left doesn't like facts because they find these emotionally unsatisfying". Just for the record and for those who don't know these are the defining characteristics of a large cohort of conservatives - and which you never hear about:

Conservatives are self-starters; not known to social welfare (in majority of cases anyway); more often in business; busy, so distracted all the time running their jobs, business, employing others and paying for that; not as angry; pay tax; pro-conservative governments; resilient; often risk takers, think identitarianism is rubbish: anti PC; not reliant on tribes.

Finally, it's simply a matter of the devil you know. This time will pass and the ensuing generations will look back and say "weren't they all beyond stupid to fall for that PC rubbish". The right is culpable for not taking it seriously enough in the first place. There are no winners here. Same in Australia where 5 nights a week our national broadcaster runs a discussion program ("The Drum") stacked with whiny Lefties, minority groups and advocates who demand more money...more more more of everything. A more perfect society, more debt, more rights. On and on it goes. And instead of saying something like JFK did about "ask not..." our PM remains silent.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm

The coming election will not be a referendum on Kamala Harris's race or ethnicity (as you suggested here before wisely editing it out) but on the deplorable record of one Donald J. Trump.

Trumpism is a Cosa Nostra that was hijacked by Rightist opportunists in a craven betrayal of authentic conservatism.

Such is the embarrassment this imbecile has caused them, such is the buyer's remorse they now feel for having championed him to ordinary folk, that the Right, today in disarray, has to resort to lumping Trump in with the hated Left in order to salvage some shred of self-respect.

The righteous on the Right, however, are fessing up — as I write, the recently retired vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Paul Selva has just endorsed Joe Biden.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm
Trumpism is a Cosa Nostra that was hijacked by Rightist opportunists in a craven betrayal of authentic conservatism...
The righteous on the Right, however, are fessing up — as I write, the recently retired vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Paul Selva has just endorsed Joe Biden.
Bingo, well said. Long time conservative columnist- philosopher George Will also endorsed Biden ( first time he will vote for a Democrat ), and did a telling summary of Trump.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 am
jserraglio wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm
Trumpism is a Cosa Nostra that was hijacked by Rightist opportunists in a craven betrayal of authentic conservatism...
Bingo, well said. Long time conservative columnist- philosopher George Will also endorsed Biden ( first time he will vote for a Democrat ), and did a telling summary of Trump.
where was this summary? I'd like to read it.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:49 am

barney wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am
Couldn't locate the summary you're looking for but, for a stopgap, the quote below is a pretty good synopsis of a guy who on his most lucid days still reminds me of my crazy cousin from Kalamazoo. As Jared Kushner has stated, TrumpWorld is like Alice's Wonderland--with a bottle of bleach labeled "Drink Me!"
George Will wrote:Mr. Trump has the advantage on me. He can say everything he knows about any subject in 140 characters, and I can't.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:03 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:49 am
barney wrote:
Couldn't locate the summary you're looking for but, for a stopgap, the quote below is a pretty good synopsis of a guy who on his most lucid days still reminds me of my crazy cousin from Kalamazoo. As Jared Kushner has stated, TrumpWorld is like Alice's Wonderland--with a bottle of bleach labeled "Drink Me!"
George Will wrote:Mr. Trump has the advantage on me. He can say everything he knows about any subject in 140 characters, and I can't.
Thanks Joseph. Brilliant quotation!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:59 pm

barney wrote:
June 1,2020,Washington Post

“This unraveling presidency began with the Crybaby-in-Chief banging his spoon on his highchair tray to protest a photograph -- a photograph -- showing that his inauguration crowd the day before had been smaller than the one four years previous. Since then, this weak person's idea of a strong person, this chest-pounding advertisement of his own gnawing insecurities, this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron.

Presidents, exploiting modern communications technologies and abetted today by journalists preening as the "resistance" -- like members of the French Resistance 1940-1944, minus the bravery -- can set the tone of American society, which is regrettably soft wax on which presidents leave their marks. The president's provocations -- his coarsening of public discourse that lowers the threshold for acting out by people as mentally crippled as he -- do not excuse the violent few. They must be punished. He must be removed.

Social causation is difficult to demonstrate, particularly between one person's words and other persons' deeds. However: The person voters hired in 2016 to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed" stood on July 28, 2017, in front of uniformed police and urged them "please don't be too nice" when handling suspected offenders. His hope was fulfilled for 8 minutes and 46 seconds on Minneapolis pavement.

What Daniel Patrick Moynihan termed "defining deviancy down" now defines American politics. In 2016, voters were presented an unprecedentedly unpalatable choice: Never had both major parties offered nominees with higher disapproval than approval numbers. Voters chose what they wagered would be the lesser blight. Now, however, they have watched him govern for 40 months and more than 40% -- slightly less than the percentage that voted for him -- approve of his sordid conduct.

Presidents seeking reelection bask in chants of "Four more years!" This year, however, most Americans -- perhaps because they are, as the president predicted, weary from all the winning -- might flinch: Four more years of this? The taste of ashes, metaphorical and now literal, dampens enthusiasm.

The nation's downward spiral into acrimony and sporadic anarchy has had many causes much larger than the small man who is the great exacerbator of them. Most of the causes predate his presidency, and most will survive its January terminus. The measures necessary for restoration of national equilibrium are many and will be protracted far beyond his removal. One such measure must be the removal of those in Congress who, unlike the sycophantic mediocrities who cosset him in the White House, will not disappear "magically," as Eric Trump said the coronavirus would. Voters must dispatch his congressional enablers, especially the senators who still gambol around his ankles with a canine hunger for petting.

In life's unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation's domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for ... what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world's most risible deliberative body.

A political party's primary function is to bestow its imprimatur on candidates, thereby proclaiming: This is who we are. In 2016, the Republican Party gave its principal nomination to a vulgarian and then toiled to elect him. And to stock Congress with invertebrates whose unswerving abjectness has enabled his institutional vandalism, who have voiced no serious objections to his Niagara of lies, and whom T.S. Eliot anticipated:

We are the hollow men ...

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

or rats' feet over broken glass ...

Those who think our unhinged president's recent mania about a murder two decades ago that never happened represents his moral nadir have missed the lesson of his life: There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come. Which implicates national security: Abroad, anti-Americanism sleeps lightly when it sleeps at all, and it is wide-awake as decent people judge our nation's health by the character of those to whom power is entrusted. Watching, too, are indecent people in Beijing and Moscow.”

George Will. Copyright Washington Post, June 1,2020

https://journalstar.com/opinion/columni ... cb56b.html

A couple other Will comments:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/politics ... index.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/04/86928284 ... gop-reboot

barney

Post by barney » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:44 pm

That's a powerful piece of writing. The Republicans are indeed hollow men (and women), standing for no conviction whatsoever except hanging on to power. And, as we have seen over four years, they will stoop to any indecency to do it. A once great party now almost totally contemptible.
That doesn't mean I like the Democrats. But they couldn't possibly have less principle.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:25 am

barney wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:44 pm
The Republicans are indeed hollow men (and women), standing for no conviction whatsoever except hanging on to power. And, as we have seen over four years, they will stoop to any indecency to do it. A once great party now almost totally contemptible.
Barney I wonder if anyone has done any studies as to how many people at those rallies have tested positive and spread the virus-most of the people don't wear masks. Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:25 am
barney wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:44 pm
The Republicans are indeed hollow men (and women), standing for no conviction whatsoever except hanging on to power. And, as we have seen over four years, they will stoop to any indecency to do it. A once great party now almost totally contemptible.
Barney I wonder if anyone has done any studies as to how many people at those rallies have tested positive and spread the virus-most of the people don't wear masks. Regards, Len
Anybody attempting such a study certainly won't get federal support. Unless they can assure the White House in advance that their findings will be no one got infected at the rallies.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 am

barney wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 am
Unless they can assure the White House in advance that their findings will be no one got infected at the rallies.
Plus , everyone at rallies will claim virus is a hoax.

NPR Radio today interviewed a Latino city council member in Las Vegas,NV.She said Trump has done a good job on the virus since it was not his fault ; his immigration policies are ok because he's just trying to stop human trafficking ; repeal of ACA ok because ACA not working as ACA policies are too expensive; and Trump has done great on the economy. I wont discuss the mountains of facts contrary to all her statements, but gives proof Trump supporters are a cult, a virus infecting 40 % of Americans more dangerous than the coronavirus.These supporters flock to Trump because he gives them excuses for their own failures and inadaquacies and selfishness, as do most cult leaders.