Manchin: Senate should consider expelling Cruz and Hawley via 14th Amendment

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: Manchin: Senate should consider expelling Cruz and Hawley via 14th Amendment

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:17 pm

Yes, indeed!

I watched that last evening, and was looking for a print reference so I could post it here. You beat me to it, Joe! 😉

He's right, of course.

barney

Re: Manchin: Senate should consider expelling Cruz and Hawley via 14th Amendment

Post by barney » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 pm

Certainly is, but it won't happen. Again, requires 17 Republican Senators. I know Cruz is universally loathed, so you might get a few, but not that many.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:24 am

barney wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 pm
Certainly is, but it won't happen. Again, requires 17 Republican Senators. I know Cruz is universally loathed, so you might get a few, but not that many.
Of course, but I still think a motion should be made and a vote should be taken, just to put everyone on the record publicly. It would tar Cruz and Hawley in the public's eye, and make some Republicans take the embarrassing position of supporting their attack on the 2020 election.

It sure would be a debate that's interesting to watch! :mrgreen:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:05 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:24 am
barney wrote:
Of course, but I still think a motion should be made and a vote should be taken, just to put everyone on the record publicly. It would tar Cruz and Hawley in the public's eye, and make some Republicans take the embarrassing position of supporting their attack on the 2020 election.

Right. Failing that, maybe we count on Mitch to hamstring them? They shoulda listened to that old wizard’s warning not to challenge the election. They are surely part of the reason the GOP lost their limos and other majority perks.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:30 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:24 am
barney wrote:

Yes, lose lose for the Republicans. They'll have to go into contortions like McCarthy (Trump was guilty of impeachable offences but it would be bad for the unity that we Republicans are so concerned about now we've lost).