This boy, who nearly drowned getting to the US, now has a new life in Florida.

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

This boy, who nearly drowned getting to the US, now has a new life in Florida.

Post by jserraglio » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:53 am

USA TODAY Becoming American: This unaccompanied minor nearly drowned coming to the US. Now he has a new life in Florida. https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ ... 186651002/

maestrob

Re: This boy, who nearly drowned getting to the US, now has a new life in Florida.

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:52 am

I'm surprised that USA Today would publish such a sympathetic article, even though they attribute the closing of the border last year to Covid without naming Trump.

The cruelty of humanity never ceases to horrify me, at the same time that our willingness to be kind to strangers lifts me up.

This is a must-read. Thanks for posting, Joe.

Rach3

Re: This boy, who nearly drowned getting to the US, now has a new life in Florida.

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:57 pm

From AxiosPM newsletter today:

" Hispanic U.S. House members are pushing for an aggressive, multiyear "Marshall Plan" for Central America to tackle the region's violence, corruption and economic devastation.

The big picture: Border enforcement measures do little to contain migration if not accompanied by work to improve the conditions that force many people to flee their homes, notes Axios Latino co-author Marina E. Franco.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Texas) told Axios Latino co-author Russell Contreras that "[w]ithout it, I feel we are doomed to repeat the same cycles over and over."
U.S. Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-Texas) told Axios a "hemispheric" outreach is required and the burden shouldn't just rest with the U.S.
Between the lines: Over the past two decades, the U.S. has deported thousands of Central American gang members who had joined the gangs in U.S. cities. They were the children of refugees who had escaped violence stemming from U.S.-backed civil wars.Those gang members upended quiet, rural towns in Central America, forcing residents there to flee."

Interesting thinking.No fresh problem solving ideas, of course, from the Trumpists.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:51 pm

No fresh problem solving ideas, of course, from the Trumpists.
Hah! :roll:

Policy? From republicans?

I do believe we are witnessing the self-immolation of the GOP.

They simply cannot win the presidency with the warped "survivalist white supremacy" ideology they are promulgating these days.

Never forget. :evil: