"So, What Are You Planning to Do for Bastille Day?"

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donald Isler

"So, What Are You Planning to Do for Bastille Day?"

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:06 am

Only CMG members of longest-standing will know what I'm referring to.

That question: "So, what are you planning to do for Bastille Day?" was how our late, lamented friend, Ralph Stein (1943-2012) would hint at his upcoming birthday. A very active CMG member for years, he was a law professor at Pace University, loved to lead informative walks around New York City, and was an extremely well-read man who knew a lot about music. He particularly liked that of Dittersdorf, whom he was always championing! Unfortunately he suffered from several illnesses, and passed away at a fairly young age.

Friday would be his 80th birthday.
Donald Isler

maestrob

Re: "So, What Are You Planning to Do for Bastille Day?"

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:41 am

How well I remember Ralph, and his fondness for the music of Dittersdorf. Unfortunately, we were not posting youtube examples at the time.

R. I. P. and Happy 80th, Ralph, wherever you are!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:24 am

Yes - I, too, have fond memories of Professor Stein.

When I was living in Manhattan (1996-2004) we spent lots of time together at Barney Greengrass deli on Amsterdam Avenue, Zabar's deli annex on Broadway, at my apartment on West End Avenue and at the bygone Tower Records - the store at Lincoln Center (from which Ralph would emerge with a knapsack full of new CDs).

Ralph, some will recall, was a particular devotee of dim sum and we would gorge ourselves on those tidbits at a Chinese restaurant in White Plains, called "Aberdeen."

I also visited Ralph in the hospital in Westchester County during a terrific snowstorm, delivering to him a portable CD player (and a few Dittersdorf Naxos CDs!). And, of course, his memorial service at Pace University was sad and touching.

Today, Bastille Day, is my daughter's birthday - and I always make the connection to Ralph's as well. He was one of a kind. Thanks for remembering him!

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:53 pm

I remember his posts - and the constant jokes from the regulars about Dittersdorf. Sad that he died so young.

As to the question about Bastille Day, my response would be to thank God once more that I'm British (and NZ and Australian). :lol:

I'm sure most of you will know the highly amusing song by 60s musical comedians Flanders and Swan, A Song of Patriotic Prejudice. (For the French, it's knowing they're foreign that drives them so mad, they say.)
If not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4zyfwtDIHE