Trump Now on Colorado Ballot Papers

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Holden Fourth

Trump Now on Colorado Ballot Papers

Post by Holden Fourth » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:57 am

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-win ... 024-03-04/

I coudn't see how a state decision could override what is a federal matter. Despite what you think about Trump, this had to be overturned as the precedent set and it's implications are enormous. If the opposite had happened just think about what the implication of a state seceding for the US would be. This precedent would open the door for that to happen

Here, there are a group of Western Australians who believe that they should secede from the rest of Australia under the mistaken belief that they are responsible for more than half the countries wealth and they arfe very serious. Fortunately, federal law would prevent this happening.

lennygoran

Re: Trump Now on Colorado Ballot Papers

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:00 am

Disappointed there wasn't a single mention from SCOTUS if there was an insurrection. Regards, Len :(

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:32 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:00 am
Disappointed there wasn't a single mention from SCOTUS if there was an insurrection. Regards, Len :(
I guess the insurrection charges have to be proved before that will happen.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:24 pm

I'm not sure they said that-they kicked the can over to Congress. I spent 4 hours watching the insurrection on Jan 6-I just happened to have the TV on when it started. Regards, Len

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:01 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:24 pm
I'm not sure they said that-they kicked the can over to Congress. I spent 4 hours watching the insurrection on Jan 6-I just happened to have the TV on when it started. Regards, Len
Correct,Len, they did not mention insurrection because in their view, the issues were (1) whether Colorado had authority to decide whether or not Trump was an insurrectionist (answer: no ) , and (2) was Sec. 3 self-executing so that a Court or other body could use history of Sec.3, facts of Jan.6, and common sense and decide if Trump was or was not an insurrectionist ( answer: no, Congress needs to first pass laws determining the definitions and procedures that must be followed to arrive at the answer ), so SCOTUS did not need to determine or discuss what insurrection is under Sec.3 and whether Trump was an insurrectionist. All SCOTUS needed to do was dismiss the Colorado case.

Very convenient dodges by SCOTUS. As the David French op ed maestrob filed here March 5 at the "The Supreme Court Just Erased Part of the Constitution" topic points out, if Congress never acts, no President will ever be found to be an insurrectionist under Sec.3. As I opined there:

"SCOTUS was simply to afraid to find the obvious, that Trump committed insurrection and that the Colorado court record was sufficient to establish that fact.Trump could have testified in the Colorado proceedings. "

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:56 am

Steve thanks for elaborating on their dodging-even worse imo their slow walking on the immunity issue-between them and Canon it looks like trump may get away with it. Regards, Len :(

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:25 am

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:56 am
Steve thanks for elaborating on their dodging-even worse imo their slow walking on the immunity issue-between them and Canon it looks like trump may get away with it. Regards, Len :(
" There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation." W.C. Fields

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:39 am

I love the way your stilted, deer-caught-in-the-headlights President bagged an entire demographic in your nation as 'MAGA people' - like they came from Mars, or something. Perhaps he should have explained (but he's not capable, be honest) that there's a tiny noisy group supporting Trump and his zero policy agenda - but it's easier to stick with the 'deplorables' narrative and for some jerk in a suit to wax lyrical about how well the speech went!! Their corrupt media just lies and continues lying.

But I'm just enjoying that 'uniny' thing which was promised. Biden has turned into a nasty little man with nothing going for him - except a cadaverous mien and an atomic clock on his life expectancy. I'm sorry folks, it's absolutely risible.

I watched the Daily Wire Show for a bit of honesty - and lots of laughs - and it was refreshing. As one said, if the autocue broke down it would have signalled the end of Joe Biden!!
"Welcome" (turn autocue), "Fellow Americans" (turn autocue) "we're here tonight" (turn autocue). "Where was I" (man comes up and drags him away from 'live mike'). Oh gawd!!

Another very astute comment they made was that old timers are running the USA because the people know it's the only thing keeping the country from disaster, through the Woke garbage of the generations behind them.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:43 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:39 am
Biden has turned into a nasty little man with nothing going for him - except a cadaverous mien and an atomic clock on his life expectancy.
A couple cut-‘n-paste jobs about the Bastion of Woke, Fox News.

“I think [Biden’s SOTU Address] may be remembered as one of the best, if not the best speeches of his presidency,” Fox News commentator Brit Hume said during Fox’s special coverage of Biden’s address. “He was firm, he was unequivocal, he was strong, as he has been — particularly in recent days before he went to Israel, and while he was over there.”

“Fox & Friends viewers heard something they don’t often hear on Thursday morning: a defence of President Joe Biden’s record from one of the show’s most familiar faces.

“Later in the day on Thursday, Mr Biden is traveling to Virginia to give a speech on the economic progress the country has made since he first took office more than two years ago — and in a segment of the morning talk programme previewing the speech, Fox & Friends host Brian Kilmeade urged Mr Biden to stand on his record instead of attacking Republicans.

“‘To me, this would be the perfect time to say, listen, our numbers aren’t perfect, but we have better numbers than any other country in the world,’ Mr Kilmeade said. ‘And compare yourself to China, compared to Russia, compared to any European nation... you know, Japan’s got this low inflation and people have certain areas — our numbers look good.’

“Mr Kilmeade couched his praise of Mr Biden’s economic record in criticism of reports that he will use his speech to go after Republicans for blocking parts of his economic agenda, but he doubled down on the substance of his praise moments later.

“‘I’d say, hey, listen, look at me,’Mr Kilmeade said. ‘We have some challenges, but compared to everybody else, we’ve worked our way out of it.’”

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 am

But Biden may not be on swing State Ohio per CNN today, thanks, once again, to Dems incompetence ??!! Last time I looked Ohio legislature is run by GOP.

CNN

" President Joe Biden may face complications getting on Ohio’s 2024 general election ballot unless Democrats make changes or the state legislature takes action, according to a letter issued by the office of Ohio’s secretary of state, Frank LaRose.

According to Ohio law, there is an August 7 deadline “to certify a presidential candidate to this office.” But this year’s Democratic National Convention — where delegates officially select the party’s nominees for president and vice president — starts August 19.

Paul Disantis, chief legal counsel for the Ohio secretary of state, laid out the options for getting Biden on the ballot in a Friday letter addressed to Ohio Democratic Party Chairwoman Liz Walters.

“I am left to conclude that the Democratic National Committee must either move up its nominating convention or the Ohio General Assembly must act by May 9, 2024 (90 days prior to a new law’s effective date) to create an exception to this statutory requirement,” Disantis wrote.

“We’re looking into the matter,” Ohio Democratic Party Communications Director Matt Keyes told CNN on Saturday.

A spokesperson for the Biden campaign said, “We’re monitoring the situation in Ohio and we’re confident that Joe Biden will be on the ballot in all 50 states.”

Former President Donald Trump beat Biden in Ohio by more than 8% in 2020."

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:47 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 am
But Biden may not be on swing State Ohio per CNN today, thanks, once again, to Dems incompetence ??!! Last time I looked Ohio legislature is run by GOP.

CNN

" President Joe Biden may face complications getting on Ohio’s 2024 general election ballot unless Democrats make changes or the state legislature takes action, according to a letter issued by the office of Ohio’s secretary of state, Frank LaRose.

Now, add Alabama.

The Dems incompetence is staggering.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/12/politics ... index.html

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:50 am