Quashed Charges In Trump Georgia Case

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Quashed Charges In Trump Georgia Case

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 pm

We're on the road right now but couldn't believe this when we opened up the NYTimes. I don't get it! Regards, Len :(

Judge Quashes Six Charges in Georgia Election Case Against Trump

The ruling said charges that Donald Trump and allies solicited public officials to break the law were not specific enough; it left the rest of the case intact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/13/us/d ... =url-share

Holden Fourth

Re: Quashed Charges In Trump Georgia Case

Post by Holden Fourth » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:51 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 pm
We're on the road right now but couldn't believe this when we opened up the NYTimes. I don't get it! Regards, Len :(

The ruling said charges that Donald Trump and allies solicited public officials to break the law were not specific enough; it left the rest of the case intact.

This might possibly be a case where what was initially reported by the media and what is actionable in law didn't match. What I'm suggesting is that the media have gone gung ho regarding the charges without bothering to fully check the actual facts.

The most important fact which was that Donald didn't seem bothered about it should have been a telling point for them but that was ignored in what was, at times, rabid outbursts from said news organisations. Those outbursts, of course, fired up sections of the American public who must now be wondering how today's event came about.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:50 am

They are stirred up and confused by a corrupt media. Take a look at Alan Dershowitz's blog if you want analysis of the issues surrounding Trump. He's a Harvard Law Professor Emeritus. This man is whip smart!! And he offers praise to Governor DeSantis in getting rid of DEI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRwxqmYR7VQ

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:09 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:51 pm
lennygoran wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 pm

This might possibly be a case where what was initially reported by the media and what is actionable in law didn't match. What I'm suggesting is that the media have gone gung ho regarding the charges without bothering to fully check the actual facts.

The most important fact which was that Donald didn't seem bothered about it should have been a telling point for them but that was ignored in what was, at times, rabid outbursts from said news organisations. Those outbursts, of course, fired up sections of the American public who must now be wondering how today's event came about.
Holden the tape is clear to me-have you ever heard it-trump tells him to find the votes he needs and other things too. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 am

Holden Fourth wrote:

The most important fact which was that Donald didn't seem bothered about it should have been a telling point for them
An accused individual’s lack of concern about his alleged misconduct is not an evidentiary fact, nor is it exonerating. Trump is on audio stating that it’s okay for celebrities like him to grab women by the p*ssy—does that make it legal??!!

Trump is also on audio tape pressuring, at times even threatening, the Georgia sec’y of state to find 11,780 more votes for Trump than were actually cast.

We all initially heard it, because the Republican Georgia sec’y of state (he voted for Trump, by the way), released the recording to the public, not as you suggest, because it was “initially reported by the media”. Now like it or lump it, that tape is a fact, not as you would have it, a product of the biased liberal media.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AW_Bdf_jGaA

Moreover, the trial judge was very firm in his ruling yesterday, stating there was an abundance of evidence to support the charges he left on the books. The charges he dismissed did not particularly impact Trump positively nor negatively.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:37 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 am
Holden Fourth wrote:

Moreover, the trial judge was very firm in his ruling yesterday, stating there was an abundance of evidence to support the charges he left on the books. The charges he dismissed did not particularly impact Trump positively nor negatively.
This is one of the points I am trying to make. Things like tape,s which are easily subject to alteration, cause problems in courts of law. I am not saying that the tapes were altered just that any prosecutor has to be very sure that they haven't been before they are produced as evidence. There is more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:49 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
What I'm suggesting is that the media have gone gung ho regarding the charges without bothering to fully check the actual facts.
The media does not have access to the investigation files which are usually confidential under most States' laws. All they can do is report the charges. And, the motions to dismiss which they promptly did here.

91 - 6. Only 85 left to go to trial.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:59 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:49 pm
Holden Fourth wrote:
What I'm suggesting is that the media have gone gung ho regarding the charges without bothering to fully check the actual facts.
The media does not have access to the investigation files which are usually confidential under most States' laws. All they can do is report the charges. And, the motions to dismiss which they promptly did here.

91 - 6. Only 85 left to go to trial.
Steve what if they bring them back in a better way. That phone call provides such serious evidence against the disgraced mafia-like liar how can we not use it in some way. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:55 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:37 pm
Things like tape,s which are easily subject to alteration, cause problems in courts of law. I am not saying that the tapes were altered just that any prosecutor has to be very sure that they haven't been
So. how likely is it that the Georgia Sec'y of State, an avid Trump supporter, would have doctored the tape his own office released to the public?

But yes, tapes do cause problems in a court of law.

In this case, an hour-long tape made by a public official friendly to the defendant's candidacy and released to the public in its entirety without edits will pose a big problem for one Donald J. Trump!

Other than the likelihood of his conviction, what explains his trying to delay or squash this trial?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:56 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:59 pm

Steve what if they bring them back in a better way. That phone call provides such serious evidence against the disgraced mafia-like liar how can we not use it in some way. Regards, Len
State probably can since jeopardy has not attached, unless there is a statute of limits issue, probably not just 4 years out.