I’m a Columbia Professor. The Protests on My Campus Are Not Justice.

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

I’m a Columbia Professor. The Protests on My Campus Are Not Justice.

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm

April 23, 2024

By John McWhorter

Opinion Writer

Last Thursday, in the music humanities class I teach at Columbia University, two students were giving an in-class presentation on the composer John Cage. His most famous piece is “4'33",” which directs us to listen in silence to surrounding noise for exactly that amount of time.

I had to tell the students we could not listen to that piece that afternoon because the surrounding noise would have been not birds or people walking by in the hallway but infuriated chanting from protesters outside the building. Lately that noise has been almost continuous during the day and into the evening, including lusty chanting of “From the river to the sea.” Two students in my class are Israeli; three others, to my knowledge, are American Jews. I couldn’t see making them sit and listen to this as if it were background music.

I thought about what would have happened if protesters were instead chanting anti-Black slogans or even something like “D.E.I. has got to die,” to the same “Sound Off” tune that “From the river to the sea” has been adapted to. They would have lasted roughly five minutes before masses of students shouted them down and drove them off the campus. Chants like that would have been condemned as a grave rupture of civilized exchange, heralded as threatening resegregation and branded as a form of violence. I’d wager that most of the student protesters against the Gaza war would view them that way. Why do so many people think that weekslong campus protests against not just the war in Gaza but Israel’s very existence are nevertheless permissible?

Although I know many Jewish people will disagree with me, I don’t think that Jew hatred is as much the reason for this sentiment as opposition to Zionism and the war on Gaza. I know some of the protesters, including a couple who were taken to jail last week, and I find it very hard to imagine that they are antisemitic. Yes, there can be a fine line between questioning Israel’s right to exist and questioning Jewish people’s right to exist. And yes, some of the rhetoric amid the protests crosses it.

Conversations I have had with people heatedly opposed to the war in Gaza, signage and writings on social media and elsewhere and anti-Israel and generally hard-leftist comments that I have heard for decades on campuses place these confrontations within a larger battle against power structures — here in the form of what they call colonialism and genocide — and against whiteness. The idea is that Jewish students and faculty should be able to tolerate all of this because they are white.

I understand this to a point. Pro-Palestinian rallies and events, of which there have been many here over the years, are not in and of themselves hostile to Jewish students, faculty and staff members. Disagreement will not always be a juice and cookies affair. However, the relentless assault of this current protest — daily, loud, louder, into the night and using ever-angrier rhetoric — is beyond what any people should be expected to bear up under, regardless of their whiteness, privilege or power.

Social media discussion has been claiming that the protests are peaceful. They are, some of the time. It varies by location and day; generally what goes on within the campus gates is somewhat less strident than what happens just outside them. But relatively constant are the drumbeats. People will differ on how peaceful that sound can ever be, just as they will differ on the nature of antisemitism. What I do know is that even the most peaceful of protests would be treated as outrages if they were interpreted as, say, anti-Black, even if the message were coded, as in a bunch of people quietly holding up MAGA signs or wearing T-shirts saying “All lives matter.”

And besides, calling all this peaceful stretches the use of the word rather implausibly. It’s an odd kind of peace when a local rabbi urges Jewish students to go home as soon as possible, when an Israeli Arab activist is roughed up on Broadway, when the angry chanting becomes so constant that you almost start not to hear it and it starts to feel normal to see posters and clothing portraying members of Hamas as heroes. The other night I watched a dad coming from the protest with his little girl, giving a good hard few final snaps on the drum he was carrying, nodding at her in crisp salute, percussing his perspective into her little mind. This is not peaceful.

I understand that the protesters and their fellow travelers feel that all of this is the proper response, social justice on the march. They have been told that righteousness means placing the battle against whiteness and its power front and center, contesting the abuse of power by any means necessary. And I think the war on Gaza is no longer constructive or even coherent.

However, the issues are complex, in ways that this uncompromising brand of power battling is ill suited to address. Legitimate questions remain about the definition of genocide, about the extent of a nation’s right to defend itself and about the justice of partition (which has not historically been limited to Palestine). There is a reason many consider the Israeli-Palestinian conflict the most morally challenging in the modern world.

When I was at Rutgers in the mid-1980s, the protests were against investment in South Africa’s apartheid regime. There were similarities with the Columbia protests now: A large group of students established an encampment site right in front of the Rutgers student center on College Avenue, where dozens slept every night for several weeks. Among the largely white crowd, participation was a badge of civic commitment. There was chanting, along with the street theater inevitable, and perhaps even necessary, to effective protest; one guy even lay down in the middle of College Avenue to block traffic, taking a page from the Vietnam protests.

I don’t recall South Africans on campus feeling personally targeted, but the bigger difference was that though the protesters sought to make their point at high volume, over a long period and sometimes even rudely, they did not seek to all but shut down campus life.

On Monday night, Columbia announced that classes would be hybrid until the end of the semester, in the interest of student safety. I presume that the protesters will continue throughout the two main days of graduation, besmirching one of the most special days of thousands of graduates’ lives in the name of calling down the “imperialist” war abroad.

Today’s protesters don’t hate Israel’s government any more than yesterday’s hated South Africa’s. But they have pursued their goals with a markedly different tenor — in part because of the single-mindedness of antiracist academic culture and in part because of the influence of iPhones and social media, which inherently encourage a more heightened degree of performance. It is part of the warp and woof of today’s protests that they are being recorded from many angles for the world to see. One speaks up.

But these changes in moral history and technology can hardly be expected to comfort Jewish students in the here and now. What began as intelligent protest has become, in its uncompromising fury and its ceaselessness, a form of abuse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/opin ... srael.html

Belle

Re: I’m a Columbia Professor. The Protests on My Campus Are Not Justice.

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:05 pm

The cult of woke finds its apotheosis. When teenagers behave like this, most of whom still live at home with mommy and daddy, we are are reminded not just of the second cult - that of the child - but also the poison of institutional indoctrination now at work in US universities. These 'kiddies' of hedge-fund managers, which Brendan alludes to, don't realize they'll be first onto the scaffold come the revolution (they so desperately want)!!

‘Pigs of the earth’? Don’t you dare call this anti-Zionism
The Australian

How quickly civilisation crumbles.

I visited Columbia University in New York City just two weeks ago. Bright-eyed youths lounged on the manicured lawns, lost in conversation. Professors hurried through the quad, thick tomes tucked under their arms.Students diligently walked their bicycles across campus: this was far too hallowed a space to be sullied by tyre marks.

Young people of every ethnicity buzzed about the place, all united in devotion to this cathedral of education, this seat of learning that counts among its alumni an American founding father, Alexander Hamilton, and the first black US president, Barack Obama.

I felt cleverer just by strolling its grounds. These are the places, I thought, where civilisation is stored. The flame of knowledge is kept alight here.

Fast forward a fortnight and Columbia is unrecognisable to me now. That quad that hummed with curious conversation now bristles and simmers with bigotry. This arena of civilisation has been overrun by fuming youths singing the praises of savagery.

Columbia has fallen to the forces of barbarism.

On Wednesday last week, students set up a “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” in the quad. The speed with which this “pro-Palestine” gathering morphed into an orgy of hatred for the Jewish state, even for Jewish people, has been chilling.

Calls for the destruction of the Jewish homeland now ring out on this campus where only weeks ago I heard cerebral chatter.

“We don’t want no two states/We want all of it,” protesters chant. That is, they want all of Israel – every last kibbutz, every last synagogue, every last inch – so that they might hand it to Hamas.

“We don’t want no two states/We want ’48,” comes the follow-up cry. They mean 1948, a time before the modern state of Israel existed. They want a world without Israel. This isn’t a cry for peace in the Middle East – it’s a cry for the erasure of the world’s only Jewish nation.

Their thirst for war that hides behind a mask of pacifism becomes clearer every day. “Burn Tel Aviv to the ground!” some campers have chanted. Love for Hamas is in the air. “Go Hamas, we love you!” echoes across the quad.

That activists at one of the most prestigious universities in Christendom are cheering the movement that raped and butchered more than 1000 Jews just six months ago should send a chill down every spine.

Unsurprisingly, such feverish loathing for the Jewish state can turn with frightening ease into open contempt for Jewish people. Jewish students have been harassed. “Go back to Poland,” protesters yelled.

One white activist in a keffiyeh – that’s cultural appropriation, no? – held up a placard with an arrow pointing at a group of Jewish students and describing them as Hamas’s “next targets”.

In short: kill these Jews. Learning has given way to genocidal dreaming. Study is superseded by violent fantasy.

In the middle of the encampment, attached to one of the tents, there’s a placard describing Israel as “the scum of nations”, the “pigs of the earth”.

Pigs of the earth? Don’t you dare call this anti-Zionism – it’s straight-up anti-Semitism. As President Joe Biden said, rightly for once, there is “blatant anti-Semitism” swirling around Columbia and other campuses. Right before our eyes, Columbia, citadel of enlightenment, has been swallowed up by medieval hysteria.

This university of the New World is now awash with the world’s oldest hatred.

It’s the crisis of Western civilisation distilled: trust-fund genderfluid pink-haired kids singing the praises of a movement that wouldn’t think twice about throwing them from a top-floor window. Media apologists for Columbia’s strange, seething camp insist that the worst chanting, the really racist stuff, is coming from outsiders, not the students themselves.

Please. That this camp so swiftly became a magnet for Jew-haters is a testament to its own rancid nature. The moral fall of Columbia captures what is at stake in the post- October 7 world.

It’s not just the continued existence of Israel, as essential to humanity as that is. It’s the future of Western civilisation itself.

Hamas’s fascistic pogrom dragged into the open the moral corrosion of our own societies.

It confirmed that among the young, in particular, sympathy for barbarism is terrifyingly commonplace. Confronted by a clash between a democratic Jewish nation and an army of extremists that had freshly carried out the worst single act of anti-Jewish slaughter since the Holocaust, far too many of our youths sided with the latter.

Students at George Washington University projected the slogan “Glory to our martyrs” on to the campus library wall after October 7. They meant glory to Hamas. Glory to these rapists and killers of Jews.

In London, young people on “pro-Palestine” marches have worn green, Hamas-style bandanas. Three young women were convicted of supporting terrorism after attending a march wearing images of paragliders. That was a clear nod to the Hamas pogromists who paraglided into Israel to visit their cosmic bigotry on the Jews there.

Polls capture just how widespread Hamas fandom has become.

In December, a Harvard-Harris poll found that 50 per cent of Americans aged 18 to 24 supported Hamas over Israel. A poll in Britain found that 24 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds thought Hamas were “freedom fighters”. It horrifies me that a quarter of youngsters in my country think the racist butchers of October 7 are fighting for liberty.

The moral disarray of the young has been a long time coming. Even Columbia’s turn from learning to lunacy, swift as it might seem to me, has been brewing for years.

These are the wages of wokeness. Having educated the young to hate their own societies, to view Western civilisation as virtually a crime against humanity, we cannot now be surprised that they’re finding comfort in the arms of civilisation’s enemies.

Universities in particular have become cradles of anti-civilisation. Fashionable new theories depict Western society as a cesspit of colonialism, racism and empire.

We end up with a new generation so addled by anti-Western thought that they come to see savagery as praiseworthy if its target is “the West” – in this case, Israel, the West’s key ally in the Middle East.

We are losing our young to the drumbeat of barbarism. Rediscovering pride in our own civilisation and its great gains and wonders is surely the most pressing task of our times. We should not rest until Gen Z hates Hamas as much as the rest of us do.

Brendan O'Neill

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:39 pm

Bibi blaming American students for protesting against what his own actions have brought about.

Netanyahu Calls Student Protests Antisemitic and Says They Must Be Quelled

“What’s happening in America’s college campuses is horrific,” the Israeli prime minister said in a televised statement. “Antisemitic mobs have taken over leading universities.”

NYT
By Matthew Mpoke Bigg
April 24, 2024, 6:49 p.m. ET

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel said on Wednesday that protests at U.S. universities against Israel’s war in Gaza were “horrific” and should be stopped, using his first public comments on the subject to castigate the student demonstrators and portray them as antisemitic.

Mr. Netanyahu’s comments could harden division over the demonstrations. They could also give ammunition to Republican leaders who have criticized the protesters and accused university administrators and Democrats of failing to protect Jewish students from attack.

“What’s happening in America’s college campuses is horrific,” Mr. Netanyahu said. “Antisemitic mobs have taken over leading universities. They call for the annihilation of Israel. They attack Jewish students. They attack Jewish faculty.”

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:47 am

From "Men Yell At Me" today:

"This week, hundreds of college students at universities across the United States set up tent settlements on their campuses to protest the ongoing war in Gaza.

In response, free speech absolutists like Caitlin Flanagan and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said, “f... them kids.”

Intellectual heavy hitters like the folks at the Daily Mail have dubbed Gen Z the “snowflake generation,” implying they are liable to melt down under the smallest amount of pressure. And yet, the moment these kids set up tents on a campus quad, the speaker of the House demands that the president call in the National Guard.

Looks like everyone’s a free speech absolutist when the question is whether those dapper Nazis can yell “blood and soil.” But when 18-year-olds demand we stop funding genocide, it’s terrorism and time to call the cops.

Tom Cotton, that bastion of peace, morality and American freedoms perhaps best known for wanting to call the infantry on Black Lives Matter activists, thinks people should use their cars to run over protesters.

So, if I have this clear, being a free speech absolutist means that you are in favor of free speech unless…

People demand that institutions be held accountable for their actions, especially when they involve the mass murder of children

Someone who is 18 refuses to tell you you have rizz

I’m sorry you felt a little uncomfortable in your country, Tommy. Maybe you feel like you aren’t fully respected? Maybe you feel mildly inconvenienced? That must suck. As a person with a womb I have no idea what that must be like. Anyway, I have to go listen to Alito say I’m less valuable than a clump of cells.

It’s unfortunate that everyone in power has become a Simpsons meme.

Gen Z grew up seeing that the adults cannot and will not keep them safe from school shooters. They saw us mismanage a pandemic while their mental health struggles were trivialized; now they are watching their rights get taken away while the adults lose organ function over Kids These Days going to Sephora for a little moisturizer.

And when they call for peace, they’re violently arrested.

You expect them to respect authority? In this economy? When one of the highest courts in the land is entertaining arguments like “are women actually people?” and “can the president can do a little murder, as a treat?” But sure, students calling for an end to genocide are the real problem.

Meanwhile, while we wring our hands over whose feelings are hurt because a 22-year-old said “don’t do war crimes,” mass graves are being uncovered at the site of Gaza hospitals razed by bombs.

But don’t worry, our government is on it. The government is on it. They fixed the problem.

No, not healthcare.

No, not codifying access to abortions.

No, no, not ensuring healthcare for trans kids.

No, not the pay gap or the housing crisis.

In a time of war, devastation, and state-sponsored violence being used to suppress free speech, our leaders have banned TikTok."

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 am

Reminiscent of college campuses in the late sixties early seventies. The more disgraced war-monger old-farts like Greg Abbott and Mike Johnson try to quash student protests, the more there will be for them to deal with, like playing Whack-A-Mole.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 am
Reminiscent of college campuses in the late sixties early seventies. The more disgraced war-monger old-farts like Greg Abbott and Mike Johnson try to quash student protests, the more there will be for them to deal with, like playing Whack-A-Mole.
Yes, and imagine what the Dem convention in Chicago will look like this summer if there's no peace deal by then.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm

From news today:

"Columbia University barred from its campus a student leader of the pro-Palestinian protests who said on video that “Zionists don’t deserve to live.” The student apologized."

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 pm

Deja vu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLg9zQH3vU ( Yes,Prime Minister )

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 pm
Deja vu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLg9zQH3vU ( Yes,Prime Minister )
Food for thought from an earlier time - I always loved that program and its predecessor - Yes Minister.

I wonder what will transpire if Jewish students end up being killed as part of these protests.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:19 am

Professor Alan Dershowitz refers to all this as "Mein Kampus". And he's nailed it.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:02 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:39 pm
Bibi blaming American students for protesting against what his own actions have brought about.

Indeed, and while I deplore much of what the protestors have been doing in terms of physical tactics ,eg. causing classes and graduations of other students to be cancelled,buildings occupied/damaged with administration disruption, university funds spent on security that could have gone to better purposes, those critical of the protestors conveniently ignore why the protests began in the first place and continue , and do not express the same concerns for the safety of the innocents in Gaza as they do for Jewish students in the US.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:11 am

Belle wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:19 am
Professor Alan Dershowitz refers to all this as "Mein Kampus". And he's nailed it.

Of course, usual media attention seeking by a member of Bibi's friend Trump's legal team for Trump's first impeachment.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/live-blog ... gue-report

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:11 am
Belle wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:19 am

Of course, usual media attention seeking by a member of Bibi's friend Trump's legal team for Trump's first impeachment.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/live-blog ... gue-report
Low resolution comment, devoid of argument. Or perhaps you think a lawyer has no right to defend somebody you don't like? Completely consistent with the mindset at the heart of Prof. Dershowitz' s pun.

Mein Kampus. Brilliant.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:55 pm

Belle wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 pm
Mein Kampus. Brilliant.
Conveniently ignoring Bibi's "blitzkrieg", unfortunately not a pun.