Australians retiring to Spain. Apparently

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Australians retiring to Spain. Apparently

Post by Belle » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 pm

This woman moved to Spain and waxes lyrical about that country compared to Australia. A whole TV program was dedicated to her and this is but one excerpt. She doesn't mention healthcare or the 'migrant' crisis. Or the fact that Spain was virtually bankrupt in 2008.

And that house of hers, where you have to step down from the street, isn't going to flood during the next downpour. Or anything!! And those marks on the bedroom wall where the cat is sitting aren't from rising damp. Or anything.

I'm sorry to report that I laughed like a mad relation when I watched this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5vQ7UR2guU

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Australians retiring to Spain. Apparently

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 pm

What a lovely Austrlian lady! She is giving me ideas about moving to Spain. "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain," etc. Outstanding healthcare at reasonable cost, respect for older people, lots of sunshine, cost of foods about half of what Australians pay? Why are not more folks considering moving there? Same for the US, especially now when everything seems to out of kilter. Not to mention taxation without representation! It does sound as though she has a decent pension. Actually, it would take a lot of nerve to pickup and leave like this.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:34 am

Actually, Lance, psychologists recommend that when people retire they should remain in the area of their friends and family. All too often we hear of people moving away to some secluded place for retirement only to be troubled by depression, alcohol and/or domestic violence, as it happens. I know this because for one year I worked in a social security office for their social worker; it was a brief spell in that office before I started at university. The young social worker told me then about the problems of violence in the beach and lake areas where many retirees had congregated. Frustration and loneliness from being away from their support structures caused many of these problems and I've never forgotten that conversation to this day. This is, of course, only applicable to married couples who move away from familiar places. And there are some people who do adapt very well, but this is by no means the usual outcome. It's also very important to be around medical services which are comprehensive and affordable.

It sounds romantic moving to Spain - or any other European country - but I would never do this myself, especially alone. When we lived in Vienna I had to be dragged back on the plane to come home but that was 13 years ago. I could have lived there permanently in a heartbeat - back then - but not today with so many grandchildren and family to help. In any case, the Austrians will not sell their real estate to foreigners and their byzantine property tax system is too difficult to understand. Back in 2011 people said to us, "how could you leave your family to come to Vienna for such a time?" and my answer was simple, "Easy - Skype"!!!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:33 pm

Understand. I, too, would not consider moving from my abode ... very comfortable here, lots of friends. I used to go to NYC frequently for concerts, buying LPs and books at some of the best stores (most all gone now). Having a sister living in Manhattan (and later a daughter) made it a great place to visit. I could have worked for Steinway & Sons, something I would have loved but I was more needed here. NYC is only three hours or less from here, but would now never consider moving to the Big Apple. Sister in Atlanta (925 miles away) might work (she'd love it), but at this age, we am happy where we are for all the reasons you cite. This whole process of getting older and the possibly of being alone or leaving someone else alone is not exactly a cup o' tea to think about. Yet I know so many older people who are unhappy and not sure about the future, ailing, dimentia, etc.. No, moving to another country is not all that appetizing at this point in life - or anywhere else in the USA and certainly never California!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]