Charles Burnett - Killer of Sheep & My Brother's Wedding

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 am

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXw-8MXhVE

Has anyone here seen either of these? -- converted from 16 to 35mm, restored and recently released on DVD by the UCLA and Milestone Films.

Killer (1977) is a quiet, unpretentious film about a slaughterhouse worker trying to support his family amid the devastation of South Central LA - its style looks back to Jean Renoir and the postwar Italian neo-realists, but with anger boiling beneath the surface. I believe it received its first theatrical release in 2007. The astonishing and deeply moving way Burnett captures kids on film is one of this movie's many strengths.

My Brother's Wedding (1983) is slated to receive its first theatrical release in NYC this fall. It's about a young man's fateful choice: to attend his despised lawyer brother's wedding or his beloved ex-con friend's funeral.

I'd be grateful to hear any opinions, esp from those who may have seen either of these movies screened properly in a theater.