"Swing Time" -- Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields etc

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

nadej_baptiste

"Swing Time" -- Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields etc

Post by nadej_baptiste » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Admidst the often silly and charming plots of the Fred and Ginger movies, there are always breathtaking scenes of dance and music... Swing Time was the first F/G film I ever saw, and this incredibly romantic scene will be forever imprinted in my memory... the pretext (for those of you who haven't seen it, though I find that highly improbable) is that Ginger knows he is supposed to marry some other gal, and is evading F's attempts at reconciliation. Here he catches her on her way out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K3YQDhB7eM
--Kamila

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: "Swing Time" -- Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields etc

Post by stenka razin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:42 pm

The sixth of RKO's Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers pairings, Swing Time was directed by George Stevens. Screened during the height of the Depression Era, the film also served an inspirational purpose for the spirits of the country, especially with the song-dance "Pick Yourself Up." The love scenes between the stars, composed mostly of break-ups and reconciliations, are played out in movement to music. They dance and act flawlessly together in three duets, expressing various emotional phases of their relationship - attraction and courtship, celebratory happiness of their love, and painful separation: the charming and exuberant "Pick Yourself Up," the instrumental "Waltz in Swing Time," and their final eloquent, anguished dance duet, "Never Gonna Dance" - one of the peak examples of their entire dance partnership.
The YouTube brought a tear to my eye, as only Frad Astaire can................He really touches your heart when he sings............and let's not forget lovely Ginger Rogers and how well she follows every single dance step so beautifully and effortlessly............ :D :D :D :D

nadej_baptiste, thank you for the uplifting video. :idea: