Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

smitty1931

Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto

Post by smitty1931 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:05 am

Addinsell wrote numerous movie scores (see wikipedia) but never wrote a piano concerto. Considering the popularity of Warsaw Concerto this seems strange. Does anyone know why?

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:45 pm

It probably comes down to money. We know he wrote other works, but of course, he will always be remembered for the Warsaw Concerto. If you haven't already, check out ASV 2108 for more selections by Mr. Addinsell.
smitty1931 wrote:Addinsell wrote numerous movie scores (see wikipedia) but never wrote a piano concerto. Considering the popularity of Warsaw Concerto this seems strange. Does anyone know why?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:46 am

I have a story about the "Warsaw Concerto". My mother, a very good pianist, was a nurse in the last 2 years of WW2. There was a piano at her hospital here in Australia and she often got requests, "Mary, play that Warsaw Concerto". My mother always obliged, playing it from memory (!), though she hated the piece. The gasps of delight and enthusiasm revealed the patients' appreciation, but my mother found it amusing that people adored that piece of kitsch which nobody seems to know anything about today.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 am

smitty1931 wrote:Addinsell wrote numerous movie scores (see wikipedia) but never wrote a piano concerto. Considering the popularity of Warsaw Concerto this seems strange. Does anyone know why?
Like Lance said, and besides, Addinsell wasn't a classical composer - besides his film scores he wrote show tunes and what is called "light music," short catchy melodic orchestral pieces for easy listening, like Eric Coates in the UK and Leroy Anderson in the U.S. As far as I know, he was never ambitious to compose "serious" music, unlike Anderson who wrote a piano concerto (which he then thought better of and withdrew).
John Francis