Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Wow...surprised there isn't a thread about this yet...

So I saw it in 3D a few days ago. The "story," if you want to call it that, is a mix between Jurassic Park and Last of the Mohicans. It is unbelievably predictable...to the point of being laughable. The acting is so-so. The action scenes are pretty intense...if not also incredibly predictable.

However...all of that being said...the visuals are absolutely spellbinding. Much like Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, and The Matrix before it, Avatar has revolutionized special effects. They are truly something to behold.

So with that, I highly recommend spending $10 and 160 minutes (or whatever it is) in the theater with a pair of 3D glasses on.

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

david johnson

Re: AVATAR

Post by david johnson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:39 am

It is great fun! The part I didn't like was the last two minutes...too much of a Disney feel.
It's all clichés, but they're so pretty i don't care :)

dj

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am

I recommend this film completely. It will blow you away. Director Cameron has taken the art of film into new dimensions and succeeded brilliantly. 8)

smitty1931

Post by smitty1931 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

As a looooong time movie fan, I saw the first two 3D features in 1953 Bwana Devil and House of Wax. Avatar is mind blowing in 3D and IMAX. If you have a choice see it in an Imax Theatre. Only thing left is Smellovision, and I am not kidding!

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 am

I saw Avatar in 3D and I join in the recommendations. Don't compare it to more "serious" movies (one of which I'm recommending in a separate thread), but accept it for what it is--a unique experience of visiual storytelling.

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:02 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Garrett & Corlyss:

That DEFINITELY deserves the Post of The Day Trophy. Clever :!: , Clever :!: , Clever :idea:
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 am

We saw it with our boys home for Christmas break. I thought the CGI was very good, the 3D more promising than any I'd previously seen, and the production values were first-rate. As for story, it struck me as the most hackneyed B-Western in recent memory, with characters even shallower than the plot. Typical fare from Cameron. The money-worshipping industry will hail him as a genius, again. Garrett's post nails it.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

AbbyInk

Post by AbbyInk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:35 am

We really want to see it in 3D which means no where close to see it. But we'll make it sooner or later.

bricon

Post by bricon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm

The soundtrack is soooooo like that of Titanic I was expecting Jack and Rose to make an appearance on the foredeck of one of the flying machines to the strains of Celine Dion.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 pm

smitty1931 wrote:As a looooong time movie fan, I saw the first two 3D features in 1953 Bwana Devil and House of Wax. Avatar is mind blowing in 3D and IMAX. If you have a choice see it in an Imax Theatre. Only thing left is Smellovision, and I am not kidding!
Remember that rumble-y bass speaker effect in "Earthquake" and "Midway". I forget what they called that. I'm waiting for it to come back.

Neytiri

Post by Neytiri » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 am

HoustonDavid wrote:
That DEFINITELY deserves the Post of The Day Trophy. Clever :!: , Clever :!: , Clever :idea:
Except that it wasn't written by the IcedNote. Just in case you hadn't noticed.

It's been circulation around the internet for quite some time around when the film was released.

And also this:

http://io9.com/5460954/the-complete-lis ... s-avatars-