Liebestraum: A film made in Binghamton, New York!

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Liebestraum: A film made in Binghamton, New York!

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 am

Well, there have been some films made in Binghamton, New York. I was hailed by the producers in 1991 to take care of all the pianos used in the film. I was in many of the buildings where the movie was made. I was thrilled because the name of the film was to be Liebestraum after Franz Liszt's famous piece. I never saw any acting. I was paid immediately for all my work.

One of the film's sequences was made at the Phelps Mansion Museum, and another was made at one of Binghamton's most famous buildings, our insane asylum, which is still standing.

Among the stars in the film was KIM NOVAK, who has always been a favourite of mine, especially in the Hitchcock thriller Vertigo. [I just saw her in another fine film, Jeanne Eagels with Jeff Chandler.]

Back to Liebestraum. After the film was released, and believing it had something to do with Liszt and his piano piece called “Liebestraum,” I took my then 12-year-old daughter to the first showing in Binghamton. Within a few minutes, we left the theater. This was not something I was wanting to show any youngster. It was QUITE the opposite of what I thought it was going to be.

I eventually did see the film, being more interested in how my pianos sounded than know about the plot of the film which was, incidentally, interesting, but very hard to follow.

In any event, here is Wiki's take on the film. If you ever get a chance to see this film, you might enjoy seeing Binghamton, New York and one of the still few standing iron buildings left in the USA.

Here's Wiki:

Liebestraum is a 1991 mystery film directed by Mike Figgis, with Kim Novak, Kevin Anderson, Alicia Witt and Taina Elg.

Plot
Two affairs, a generation apart. Nick (Kevin Anderson), a professor of architecture in upstate New York, comes to an Illinois town to be with his birth mother (Kim Novak) in the final days of her illness; he was adopted and has never known her. On the first day, he runs into Paul (Bill Pullman), a college friend, whose construction company is demolishing an old, downtown department store where a murder-suicide happened 30 years' before. The building is of beautiful cast-iron construction, so Nick wants to study it before the demolition. Paul introduces Nick to his wife, Jane (Pamela Gidley), and over the next four days, their attraction grows as Nick explores the old building, attends his mother's bedside, and unravels the past.

Written by the distinguished J. Hailey, published and edited with permission by the honourable D. Oud

Background
The title is taken from Franz Liszt's composition Liebesträume.

Much of the movie, especially its external shots, was filmed in Binghamton, New York. The plot centers on a building with a cast iron frame, and Binghamton's downtown area includes one of the few cast-iron buildings still standing.

When Mike Figgis' 1991 erotic thriller Liebestraum made its VHS debut, it was in two editions — the R-rated theatrical release and the unrated director's cut. Now the film is making its DVD bow as part of MGM's Avant-Garde Cinema series, but only in a single, R-rated edition. However, the deleted scene that marks the difference between the two versions is included as a bonus feature.

Cast
Kevin Anderson as Nick Kaminsky
Pamela Gidley as Jane Kessler
Bill Pullman as Paul Kessler
Kim Novak as Lillian Anderssen Munnsen
Graham Beckel as Sheriff Pete Ricker
Zach Grenier as Barnard Ralston IV
Thomas Kopache as Dr. Parker
Anne Lange as Nurse #1
Jack Wallace as Mike
Max Perlich as Orderly #1
Catherine Hicks as Mary Parker
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

MarkC

Re: Liebestraum: A film made in Binghamton, New York!

Post by MarkC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 am

Lance wrote:......Well, there have been some films made in Binghamton, New York.....
"I did not know that!" :)
......I was hailed by the producers in 1991 to take care of all the pianos used in the film. I was in many of the buildings where the movie was made.....
Neat!
......I was paid immediately for all my work.
That always helps. :lol:
......one of Binghamton's most famous buildings, our insane asylum.....
Please, "psychiatric hospital"!
.......which is still standing......
Is it now called a "mental health center"? :mrgreen:
.........believing it had something to do with Liszt and his piano piece called “Liebestraum,” I took my then 12-year-old daughter to the first showing in Binghamton. Within a few minutes, we left the theater. This was not something I was wanting to show any youngster. It was QUITE the opposite of what I thought it was going to be.....
Uh-oh.......... (now I think people will really be interested........) :shock:
......If you ever get a chance to see this film, you might enjoy seeing Binghamton, New York and one of the still few standing iron buildings left in the USA....
I can easily think of some circumstances where I'd want to be in one of those.....
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:39 am

>Well, there have been some films made in Binghamton, New York.<

Binghamton, gee, who would have guessed. :) We have gone through and near that city numerous times now between trips to PA's Endless Mountains and the Finger Lake Region of NY--sometime we'll have to actually stop and see what Binghamton itself has to offer the tourist? Regards, Len

MarkC

Post by MarkC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 pm

lennygoran wrote:.....sometime we'll have to actually stop and see what Binghamton itself has to offer the tourist? Regards, Len
I think it's mainly Lance. :lol:
Don't expect me to be sane, I'm playing Scriabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySs4aQ8 ... D6&index=0

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:07 pm

LOL! Well Corning is kind of nice with that Main St but Binghamton is an unknown. Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Well, THAT made me smile bigtime! And if any CMGer is ever passing through Binghamton, New York, I would be honored to see you, have lunch, or whatever. I am most sincere!
MarkC wrote:
lennygoran wrote:.....sometime we'll have to actually stop and see what Binghamton itself has to offer the tourist? Regards, Len
I think it's mainly Lance. :lol:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Corning, New York is well known, of course, mostly because of Corning Glass Works or what is now known as Corning, Inc. Corning is adjacent to Elmira, New York, which is home to a number of well known personalities, many of whom are buried in Elmira, including Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens); Ossip Gabrilowitsch, pianist and conductor, and Mark Twain's son-in-law; composers Charles Tomlinson Griffes and William P. Perry; fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger; movie producer Hal Roach [Our Gang, Laurel and Hardy, etc.]; news anchor Brian Williams; football player Ernie Davis; astronaut Eileen Collins; pro golfer Joey Sindelar, and many others. Actress Katharine Hepburn's mother was an heiress to the Corning fortune. No doubt Katharine spent some time in Corning, too.
lennygoran wrote:LOL! Well Corning is kind of nice with that Main St but Binghamton is an unknown. Len
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 am

>news anchor Brian Williams<

He's the guy we watch every night for the news reports--Elmira, another town to which I've never been. A few years ago we finally made it to Cooperstown--even my wife who's not a sports fan liked the town. The area has some beautiful scenery and lakes and we also went to Glimmerglass for some operas for the first time--those were the days when Glimmerglass and NYCO were sister companies. Regards, Len