“Two Seconds” w/Edward G. Robinson

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

“Two Seconds” w/Edward G. Robinson

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:00 pm

As an Edward G. Robinson fan from long ago, I'm discovering there are many of his older films that I have not seen. Today was one of them when I viewed the 1932 film Two Seconds. What a grand piece of acting by Robinson! The film was apparently issued on DVD by Warner Bros. and is, at the moment, kind of pricey at near $40/USD.

One of Robinson's first acting jobs was in live theater here in Binghamton, New York. He alludes to an experience he had (with a woman here) that was not very memorable. This is in Robinson's autobiography, All My Yesterdays.

In the meantime, this may pique your interest in Two Seconds, as provided by our friends at Wiki:

Two Seconds is a 1932 film directed by Mervyn LeRoy and starring Edward G. Robinson.

Plot
John Allen, a condemned murderer, relives the events that led to him being sentenced to death in the electric chair during the last two seconds of his life. He worked with his friend and flatmate Bud Clark as a riviter. Bud is engaged to be married, and tries to set up a date for Allen, but Allen is uninterested. He goes to a dance hall, where he meets dancer Shirley Day. He defends her from an amorous patron, and she is fired by Tony, the proprietor who is also her lover. Allen wants to be with an educated woman, and Shirley pretends to be interested in attending a lecture with him. Instead, they go to a speakeasy on her persuasion, and she gets him drunk on "tea." Shirley bribes a justice of the peace to marry then, to which he impulsively agrees. When they return to Allen's apartment, Shirley throws Bud out. Almost immediately, Shirley begins seeing Tony. When, three weeks after the marriage, Bud tells Allen that Shirley is unfaithful they fight, and Bud falls to his death from a skyscraper girder. The grief-stricken Allen then quits his job, but is demoralized by living on Shirley's ill-gotten money. Later Shirley pretends to repent and tells Allen that she has been meeting with Tony in order to borrow money from him, and to help Bud's finace Annie to get a job at the dance hall. Allen then places money on horses in order to obtain the money to pay off the debts he thinks he owes Tony, which he does. He then heads to Tony's house with the money, and finds that Bud was telling the truth, and Shirley had been lying to him. Jealous, he kills Shirley and is sentenced to the electric chair. At his trial Allen refuses all defences saying he should have been killed when he was at his lowest, not when he had been avenged. As the switch is pulled, Allen reflects on how he got away with Clark's unjustified death, but was condemned for Shirley's justifiable murder.

Cast
Edward G. Robinson - John Allen
Vivienne Osborne - Shirley Day
Preston Foster - Bud Clark
J. Carrol Naish - Tony
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

moldyoldie

Re: “Two Seconds” w/Edward G. Robinson

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm

I caught the last half-hour or so this afternoon on TCM. He could've easily copped an insanity plea...or was Robinson too good an actor.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: “Two Seconds” w/Edward G. Robinson

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 pm

I think you're right. There was "some" sense to his argument, however, at least as he saw it. The acting in the final sequence was mind-boggling, some of the best EGR I've seen. BTW, TCM/Vault has that DVD for $17.99, not the $34+ rate shown on Amazon. Apparently it is a brand new issue.
moldyoldie wrote:I caught the last half-hour or so this afternoon on TCM. He could've easily copped an insanity plea...or was Robinson too good an actor.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]