"They Shall Have Music," starring HEIFETZ: anyone seen it?

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

"They Shall Have Music," starring HEIFETZ: anyone seen it?

Post by Wallingford » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:17 pm

I duped it off of AMC many years ago: surprisingly credible plot, concering an inner-city NYC youth orchestra program, spearheaded by an idealistic couple who--miraculously (admittedly)--manage to get Jascha himself to help sponsor it.

Released in that magical movie year of 1939 (guaranteeing a certain measure of quality), it does have a few of the predictable Hollywood plot turns, but there is realism, including the chief hero youth whose stepdad was abusive; also, said youth was involved with the pawning of Heifetz' astronomically pricey violin.

Anyone have any perceptions on this movie?
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

moldyoldie

Re: "They Shall Have Music," starring HEIFETZ: anyone seen it?

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

It's been awhile, but I recall having the impression of it being a Heifetz promotional. I did enjoy the performance of the youth orchestra (Dvořák?) and the kid was credible. Who played the headmaster of the school? I want to say Harry Morgan (Col. Potter in M*A*S*H), but I don't think that's right.

(edit)
Ah, I just looked it up -- Walter Brennan. :wink:

It's sort of an anti-Haydn story. The young Haydn was kicked out on his keister when his voice changed! :lol:
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steve Wright

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:23 am

I'm trying to remember this one, Neil. I've seen Heifetz in several movies. He actually doesn't do a bad job as an actor, except, perhaps a little "stiff" here and there.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Lance wrote:I'm trying to remember this one, Neil. I've seen Heifetz in several movies. He actually doesn't do a bad job as an actor, except, perhaps a little "stiff" here and there.
Of course, he's enough of a presence in his virtuoso scenes....and the fact these kids (in the story) were not only watching a film of him playing, but finally seeing the man himself, makes it an endearing story. The script is ideally tailored to his limited acting ability.

Not a masterpiece, but a nice, second-echelon film.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Here's a link so you can begin watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... shall+have
--Sir Thomas Beecham