Actor Paul Stewart

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Actor Paul Stewart

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:51 am

Actor Paul Stewart [1908-1986]

Paul Stewart [Paul Sternberg]: Here's an actor that I remember seeing on the streets of New York City, seeing him standing on a corner by himself, smoking a cigarette. I was about ten years old. He looked then as gangster-like and unapproachable as he did in his many movies. I spoke to him, but he only barely acknowledged me as he flicked the ash off his cigarette.

What prompted a remembrance of him was watching Citizen Kane with Orson Welles, filmed in 1941. In this film, he uses a Russian accent that doesn't really come off that good. He was involved in many films, though the period between 1944 and 1948 looks bleak. He also did some directing and was involved in film-making more than an actor.

Here's Wiki's take on Stewart:

Paul Stewart (May 13, 1908 – February 17, 1986) was an American character actor known for his tough, guttural voice. He frequently portrayed villains and mobsters throughout his lengthy career.

Born Paul Sternberg in New York City, Stewart graduated from Columbia University and made his Broadway theatre debut in the play Two Seconds in 1931. A few years later he met Orson Welles, who invited him to join the Mercury Theatre, where he participated in the notorious 1938 radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. He was a founding member of AFTRA.

Sternberg's many screen credits include Citizen Kane, Twelve O'Clock High, Champion, Kiss Me Deadly, The Bad and the Beautiful, In Cold Blood, The Day of the Locust, S.O.B., and W.C. Fields and Me, in which he portrayed Florenz Ziegfeld. On television, he appeared in Playhouse 90, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Alcoa Theatre, Dr. Kildare, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, It Takes a Thief, Mannix, The Name of the Game, McMillan & Wife, The Rockford Files, Lou Grant, and Remington Steele, among many others. He also directed some television episodes, among them "Little Girl Lost", from the Twilight Zone.

Stewart was married to big band singer/actress Peg La Centra from 1939 until his death from a heart attack in Los Angeles at age 77. He was characterized in the 1999 television movie RKO 281. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]