Favorite character actors

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

smitty1931

Favorite character actors

Post by smitty1931 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Two of my favorites are William Demarest and Beulah Bondi. Demarest played the wise cracking buddy to the lead in dozens of films of the 40s. Bondi,only in here 30s, was playing little old ladies for years. Probably best remembered as Stewarts mom in Its A Wonderful Life. Many times the character actors were more interesting than the two leads!

Wallingford

Re: Favorite character actors

Post by Wallingford » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:54 pm

FRANKLIN PANGBORN -- He of the prissy, kittycat face; it would've been neat to see him & Frank Nelson in the same room. Pangborn's familiar to many as W.C. Fields' patsy to whom the renowned drunkard proposes a wacky new movie idea, in Never Give A Sucker An Even Break. But to Little Rascals fanatics like myself, he'll live in immortality as effeminate photographer Otto Phocus, who's given such a nightmare of a time by infant Spanky ("I don' WANT mah pitcher took!"), in the episode "Wild Poses."

BEN TURPIN -- The most one-of-a-kind comedian. He of the scroungy mustache and the crossed eyes. Yeah, those crossed eyes.

RICHARD MASUR -- For years president of the Screen Actors Guild, but he built his reputation in several TV sitcoms, notably One Day At A Time, as Bonnie Franklin's younger boyfriend, and on All In The Family for his famous portrayal of a mentally retarded young man whom Archie patronizes. A real teddybear of a persona.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 pm

JAMES FINLAYSON - one of the Hal Roach stock players. He was the irascible Scotsman with the humongeous walrus mustache and the squinty-eyed double take. Most often, he'd alternate with Charlie Hall as Laurel and Hardy's chief nemesis (in episodes like Men O'War, Big Business, and the feature Way Out West).
--Paul Simon

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 pm

HATTIE McDANIEL - The archetypal "black mammy," she still brought a good share of dignity to the role every time. It wasn't for nothing she won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Gone With The Wind.
--Paul Simon