Unstoppable

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Cosima___J

Unstoppable

Post by Cosima___J » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:58 pm

A very exciting movie from start to finish. Denzel Washington gave another fine performance. Go see this one!

HoustonDavid

Re: Unstoppable

Post by HoustonDavid » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Maybe I'm a bit of a "film" snob, and maybe the movie in question is a bit more "film"
than the usual rewrites of movies like "Speed", but I hate to see someone of such
immense talent waste their time on action/chase/shoot-em-ups as Denzel Washington.
I do enjoy such movies, but don't expect to have great talent bring them to me. Maybe
it was a worthy project - I haven't seen the film - but the previews I've seen don't look
worthy of Mr. Washington's talent, although I'm sure he does a better job than most.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

Barry

Post by Barry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 pm

HoustonDavid wrote:Maybe I'm a bit of a "film" snob, and maybe the movie in question is a bit more "film"
than the usual rewrites of movies like "Speed", but I hate to see someone of such
immense talent waste their time on action/chase/shoot-em-ups as Denzel Washington.
I do enjoy such movies, but don't expect to have great talent bring them to me. Maybe
it was a worthy project - I haven't seen the film - but the previews I've seen don't look
worthy of Mr. Washington's talent, although I'm sure he does a better job than most.
Washington seems to be following in the footsteps of De Niro in that when they reached a certain age, they stopped getting Oscar-type roles and started taking on more action-type movies. That's not to say that they're all bad movies. But they aren't the types of films these guys were doing when they were a bit younger.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Cosima___J

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Well David, if you've ever seen "Meet the Fockers", you'll know what Barry means about DeNiro. But "Unstoppable" is a darn good and exciting story based on a true incident. So don't be so quick to denigrate it or it's star! Denzel Washington has the success, the respected stature to take any role that interests him. I think the story line in "Unstoppable" interested him.

As a matter of fact, Roger Ebert thinks pretty highly of the film: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /101119995

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:41 pm

I, like many "film" buffs, had a good laugh at "Meet the Fokkers", and enjoyed a
good shoot-em-up like "Good, Bad, and Ugly", or long-term chase, as in "Speed".
It is kind of a "guilty" pleasure for those of us who are not true "snobs". And maybe
DeNiro and Washington thought the story line was worthy of their enormous talents -
more likely it was related to income in a waning market for aging "over the title"
actors - but I digress. In my mind it is abuse of great talent in roles that could be
done by far less gifted actors and just as competently. But of course, then Denzel
and Robert would have one less film to their credit (and bank account), and we
would have to suffer lesser talents in the same roles.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)