The DSK Movie

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Cosima___J

The DSK Movie

Post by Cosima___J » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Yes, there will be a movie made about DSK (Dominique Strauss-Kahn), not to be confused with KSM :lol: .

It seems that his third wife, Anne Sinclair, has had enough of the old philanderer. They have officially separated.

The movie will star Isabelle Adjani as Sinclair and Gerard Depardieu (great choice) as DSK. Might be interesting, or maybe not.

Tarantella

Re: The DSK Movie

Post by Tarantella » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:14 pm

You know, they say truth is stranger than fiction!! I love Depardieu and I'm sure he'll bring depth to his role as DSK - probably more depth than the actual person has.

Last year, in July, I attended a full dress rehearsal at the Drottningholm Baroque Theatre in Stockholm of "Don Giovanni". This theatre still has functioning equipment from the 18th century - its one concession to modernity is lighting. The free dress rehearsal was a serendipitous bonus because we'd done a tour of the theatre that afternoon and I became friendly with the guide, herself a budding singer (gotta love those Swedes with their fabulous English!!). She immediately organized for us to get to the rehearsal that evening. During the performance it occurred to me that the work had been interpreted through the prism of recent events with DSK. This Don was a sleazy, manipulative and altogether unpleasant individual. Not at all the romanticized version of what I'd previously experienced. And I thought how eminently possible it was to provide a modern 'message' in a theatre piece from the 18th century without one stitch of modern costuming or scenic design!! Intelligent direction will do the trick every time.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am

Tarantella wrote: This Don was a sleazy, manipulative and altogether unpleasant individual. Not at all the romanticized version of what I'd previously experienced.
That's the kind of portrayal I just hate--for me Don G should be presented as a traditional opera and the Don has to be presented as neither a murderer or a rapist! Regards, Len

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Then you would definitely have hated this interpretation, though you might have loved the look of the piece. When in Vienna I also went to Wiener Staatsoper and their interpretation of the Don (more modernized costuming) was of an assailant with his offsider as a kind of pimp. I was also struck by the somewhat homoerotic overtones. I enjoyed both performances and thought both interpretations valid - and the music was as wonderful as ever.

(Confucius he say: 'when in big hole stop digging'!!)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Tarantella wrote:Then you would definitely have hated this interpretation, though you might have loved the look of the piece. When in Vienna I also went to Wiener Staatsoper and their interpretation of the Don (more modernized costuming) was of an assailant with his offsider as a kind of pimp. I was also struck by the somewhat homoerotic overtones. I enjoyed both performances and thought both interpretations valid - and the music was as wonderful as ever.

(Confucius he say: 'when in big hole stop digging'!!)
Ah the music! Len :)

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Mozart's theatre works were his crowning achievement, IMO. I believe the human voice informs all his other works too, in one way or another.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Tarantella wrote:Mozart's theatre works were his crowning achievement, IMO. I believe the human voice informs all his other works too, in one way or another.
So how is he overrated? Len :)

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm

I don't think you really want me to answer that!!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 am

Tarantella wrote:I don't think you really want me to answer that!!
:) :) :) Regards, Len