Joan Crawford: "Story of Esther Costello"

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Joan Crawford: "Story of Esther Costello"

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Most agree, Joan Crawford was an actress of supreme qualities. TCM played "The Story of Esther Costello" the other night and I was completely captivated enough to want to order that on DVD. I discovered the 4-DVD set from TCM/Sony of "Joan Crawford in the 1950s," which contains four dramatic flicks: Harriet Craig (1950); Queen Bee (1955); Autumn Leaves (1956); The Story of Esther Costello (1957). These have been digitally remastered are are available (around $40 for the set, and worth every penny). The Costello story reminded me very much of the Helen Keller story with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. Bancroft was at her best, and continues to rank as one of my top 10 actresses. Her cameo role in The Elephant Man, was also unforgettable.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Re: Joan Crawford: "Story of Esther Costello"

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:41 am

Lance wrote: Bancroft was at her best, and continues to rank as one of my top 10 actresses. Her cameo role in The Elephant Man, was also unforgettable.
Yes a great actress imo--I was always amazed that a serious actress like her was married to a wild guy like Mel Brooks-there was a lovely film shown on PBS where Brooks discusses his marriage with her: Mel Brooks: Make a Noise

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters ... oise/2622/

Regards, Len