Green Book

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Green Book

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:29 am

When I looked up the film "Green Book" in the Internet Movie Data Base, I found this description: "A working-class Italian-American bouncer becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South." Obviously, a film I want to see! But having seen it, I found this description to be somewhat misleading. The film portrays Don Shirley, who was a classically-trained pianist, but the music he performs during this tour is jazz (more or less), not classical. There is one exception: in one scene of the film, he performs a truncated version of Chopin's "Winter Wind" Etude. In an earlier scene, he expresses regret that he no longer performs classical music.

But I wasn't disappointed in the film. On the contrary, it's very well done and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys cinema. Both the lead actors are excellent: Viggo Mortensen (who is half-Danish) is convincing as the Italian-American bouncer; and Mahershala Ali gives a nuanced performance as Don Shirley. The unusual dynamic between the two very different characters gives the film its focus. If the pairing seems unlikely, keep in mind that the story is (mostly) true. Go see it!