Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) dir. Michael Curtiz

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

neilnw

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) dir. Michael Curtiz

Post by neilnw » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:47 pm

I rented out as a favor to myself (Amazon, natch) the movie musical Yankee Doodle Dandy. I rented it for three primary reasons: a) cuz I hadn't seen it; b) to hear how James Cagney sings; and c) to see if the 1943 Warner Brothers cartoon Yankee Doodle Daffy is a direct parody of the movie itself.

The answer to the third matter is no, but it IS special in that this is truly Daffy's/Mel Blanc's one-man show. The duck simply dominates the film. It stands tall among director Friz Freleng's greatest achievements.

The middle reason is answered by Cagney's 3/5ths spoken, and only 2/5ths sung performance, and it's not that great a singing voice at that. Was it Oscar-worthy? I can't vouch for all major 1942 releases, but Cagney for me is an emphatic yes. Charisma to burn.

On IMDB.com, I give cartoon a 10 and the feature a 9.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Belle

Re: Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) dir. Michael Curtiz

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:04 pm

This brilliant WB cartoon parody of classical music and Franz Liszt is absolutely inspired. These "Looney Tunes" cartoons were for the entertainment of adults, but children could also watch them and laugh. How ingenious most of them were and light years removed from the USA of today - riven to the core, as it is, with hatred, identity politics and the attendant scourges of that ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzeFyKiPHZ8

Those cartoons remind us all that the USA once had a vibrant sense of humour, along with a can-do philosophy that went hand in glove with economic progressivism. Sadly, no more.

neilnw

Re: Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) dir. Michael Curtiz

Post by neilnw » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:58 am

Rhapsody Rabbit is one of Friz Freleng's proudest achievements as well.

Here's a link to Yankee Doodle Daffy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5M9atCMJdI
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham