Maestro (2023)

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Maestro (2023)

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:37 am

I finally had a chance to see Maestro yesterday--in a movie theater. I'm not going to write a full "review" but will offer some impressions.

First, this is a film that should be seen by every CMG member, especially those (most of us) who admire Leonard Bernstein. It is rare in recent years that a film has been made about a real classical music figure, and this is a film to be taken seriously.

Secondly, credit is due to Bradley Cooper, who starred in, directed, and co-wrote this film. Cooper has been in several junk movies, but his work in this film is worthy of admiration.

How do you make a film about a person of such varied accomplishments, such a huge personality, and the subject of considerable controversy? There has to be a focus, and the filmmakers chose to focus on the relationship with Bernstein's wife, Felicia (exceptionally portrayed by Carrie Mulligan). The film depicts a truly loving relationship between them, despite Bernstein at times flaunting his bisexuality in her presence.

One of the weaknesses of the film is that several real life characters are portrayed, but a moviegoer who is not fully familiar with Bernstein's life would not know who they are. There are also some odd camera angles--scenes where characters are partially or fully cut out of the picture or shot from a distance and partially obscured. I didn't get the point of these oddities.

I want to see this film again to catch some of the details I may have missed. Fortunately, it is coming out on Netflix in a few days and I'll have the opportunity to watch it from the comfort of my home.

A curious personal note: It has been a while since I went to a movie theater. I had to think about this a little bit and realized that the last time I did this was to see Steven Spielberg's West Side Story--with music by you know who.

jserraglio

Re: Maestro (2023)

Post by jserraglio » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:29 am

Thanks for posting this. I took it as a reminder and watched Maestro yesterday. Fascinating. I thought Carrie Mulligan as Felicia Montealegre stole the show and should be up for an Academy Award.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:37 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:37 am
Fortunately, it is coming out on Netflix in a few days and I'll have the opportunity to watch it from the comfort of my home.

A curious personal note: It has been a while since I went to a movie theater.
Hank great report-we're going to see it via netflix. On going to the movies we'd be like you except we've been doing Met HD at the AMC theater in Rockaway NJ for quite a few years now. There's the smell of the popcorn! Regards, Len :lol:

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:25 pm

Watched "Maestro" last night via Netflix - on a pretty large-screen TV.

The two hours sped by as I was mesmerized by Bradley Cooper's portrayal. He became Bernstein. And I agree with the previous comment about Carrie Mulligan's turn as Felicia Montealegre. Although there will be lots of competition - maybe a couple of Oscars here?

The Ely Cathedral performance of (last minutes of) the Mahler Second was, for me, a highlight. The last time I saw Leonard Bernstein in a live concert was when he conducted that symphony at Avery Fisher Hall (probably was in 1987).

A not-to-be-missed film.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:16 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:37 am
One of the weaknesses of the film is that several real life characters are portrayed, but a moviegoer who is not fully familiar with Bernstein's life would not know who they are.
This problem was illustrated by a couple I know who decided to watch the film on Netflix. They have gone to operas in the past but are not particularly knowledgeable about instrumental music. They know the name, Leonard Bernstein, but not the details of his life. They watched the beginning of the film, couldn't follow what was going on, and turned it off after about 25 minutes.

Another illustration: a friend who is quite familiar with classical music and with Bernstein saw the movie, liked it very much, but did not realize that the older man who told Bernstein to change his name was Serge Koussevitzky.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:55 am

Sue and I watched it yesterday via Netflix. It had some very effective moving moments and Carey Mulligan was superb. OTOH we found it somewhat jumbling at times-still they had plenty of ground to cover even without the political stuff. Glad we saw it. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:49 am

Stephen Sondheim on Leonard Bernstein, 1998 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JimS2XIMBoY

LB as a composer, lyricist, teacher and man. Lots of what he says gets reflected in the movie.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:56 am

I have watched half of it and will go back to it soon. Great music in the soundtrack, of course. It seems to jump scenes too much for me, but I've gotten used to other flicks that use that method.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:06 am

david johnson wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:56 am
It seems to jump scenes too much for me,
David yes-that's what we felt too-otoh the more we think about the movie the more powerful many of those scenes seem to us! Regards, Len