"Casablanca", 1942

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

"Casablanca", 1942

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:23 am

I just watched a restoration of this film today because I was interested in seeing Conrad Veidt a little over a year before his death (he looked much older than his 48 years).

It's been many years since I've seen the film and, in the interim, I've grown very critical. This old pot-boiler has had more that its share of praise over the years and the reason for this remains enigmatic. Essentially a propaganda noir for WW2 audiences, the film is noisy, improbable, disjointed and its cavalcade of character actors are nothing but a distraction. Why are they there? Greenstreet, Lorre and Qualen (I kept thinking "where's John Ford?") play roles which resemble characters from an opaque picaresque novel written by Raymond Chandler.

In order for this film to be a superordinate of film noir, as it has often been touted, it needed to have tension, sympathetic characters, a femme fatale and threatening antagonists. Veidt's Major Strasser was a caricature, as was Bogart's Rick; his incessant smoking and facial tics were just annoying by the end of the film. How could this tough guy put his head down on his desk and bawl over a dame? How could the dame be so frozen and faux that he'd even want to do that? There was zero chemistry between Bogart and Bergman.

The film occasionally burst into music; this simply muddied the water. The only character who engaged me with a scintilla of interest was the ever-cynical Claude Rains; he always carries this off with aplomb.

The real stars of "Casablanca" were Michael Curtiz, for making the film which started its life as half a script, and Arthur Edeson. Curtiz's direction is taut and he tries, and mostly succeeds, in providing well-executed action in a film which is essentially a stage play. A noir 'ship of fools' - without the water, but with the sea-sickness!!

The major star of "Casablanca", however, is cinematographer Arthur Edeson (1891-1970). This veteran's glorious chiaroscuro photography is simply front and centre and I couldn't keep my eyes from revelling in the sheer artistry. This film is a thing of beauty which frames a bog-standard story, stereotypical characters and starchy leads.

david johnson

Re: "Casablanca", 1942

Post by david johnson » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 am

I find it a fun flick. Bergman is cute. I like Lorre/Greenstreet. No gripes from me :)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:21 am

david johnson wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 am
No gripes from me :)
Sue and I happened to see it last week-one of the great films! Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:48 pm

Four simple words about this highly entertaining flick put all the overthinking and ma’amsplaining in the shade: Here’s looking at you …
Last edited by jserraglio on Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:58 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:48 pm
Three words about this flick put the ma’amsplaing in the shade: Here’s looking at you…
Don't give up your day job.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 pm

Belle wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:58 pm
jserraglio wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:48 pm
Three words about this flick put the ma’amsplaing in the shade: Here’s looking at you…
Don't give up your day job.
Not to worry. My job doesn't pay by the word.

When confronted by Neo-realism or the New Wave, let alone a first-rate Hollywood romance with anti-fascist overtones like “Casablanca”, Germanophile flickheads can only eat their hearts out with envy!! :lol:

As an alternative, here is the late Roger Ebert’s fair-minded, balanced assessment of “Casablanca”. Ebert recognizes first and foremost that the characters carry the narrative and that all that brilliant dialogue would count for nothing without great actors to animate it. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/grea ... lanca-1942