Books on the Ancient Greeks

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Cosima__J

Books on the Ancient Greeks

Post by Cosima__J » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:27 pm

The ancient Greeks are my current passion. I love to read history books about that period. And also novels like two favorites by Steven Pressfield called "Tides of War; a novel of Alcibiades and the Peloponnesian War" and "Gates of Fire; An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae"

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: Books on the Ancient Greeks

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:30 pm

How did you stumble upon this passion? I got mine from a presentation of Jean Anouilh's Antigone on WETA-TV in the very early 60s. In the mid-60s, I saw Electra with Irene Papas. The b&w photography and the god-forsaken landscape and the score by Mikis Theodrakis burned into my brain and I was hooked on Greek Tragedy.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Post by stenka razin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Would you believe my interest in the Ancient Greeks started as a young teen after becoming enthrolled with Richard Strauss' great opera 'Elektra'!.......My family and neighbors were not too happy about my new highly charged listening experience favorite......... :wink: 8)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:56 am

stenka razin wrote:Would you believe my interest in the Ancient Greeks started as a young teen after becoming enthrolled with Richard Strauss' great opera 'Elektra'!.......My family and neighbors were not too happy about my new highly charged listening experience favorite......... :wink: 8)
Elektra or Heavy Metal both at high volume....what an alternative for a teenager to offer the world :lol:

John F

Post by John F » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:29 am

Here are a couple of great books - short, too - that I keep coming back to:

Edith Hamilton, "The Greek Way" - history, society, thought, and literature, particularly Athenian, in the Golden Age.

Edith Hamilton, "The Echo of Greece" - a broader view, continuing until the decline of Greece and ascent of Rome.
John Francis