Genre: Horror

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Brendan

Genre: Horror

Post by Brendan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:50 am

Just thought I’d start some threads on favourites we may have in various genres. Typical of me, I do a few good reviews and include on I think a stinker, however popular.

Dracula – Bram Stoker
Still the greatest horror pulp novel I know of, it really makes an impression. Many imitators later, nothing quite has the same creepy effect Stoker engenders with the correspondence between protagonists.

Complete Works – H.P. Lovecraft
The master of truly weird and disturbing short tale.

The Exorcist – William Peter Blatty
I read the book before seeing the movie – and knew no movie could do this justice.

The Day of the Triffids – John Wyndham
I haven’t read it in years and it seems kind of silly in retrospect, but as a kid it really got me.

Cabal – Clive Barker
May as well pick this one – all my experiences with Barker’s books have been the same. Initially I love them and read like mad, then it all goes weird from a weird starting place, then takes a strange turn into a bizarre labyrinth and I lose all interest and wonder how I got here from where I began.

IcedNote

Re: Genre: Horror

Post by IcedNote » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 pm

I read "Dracula" in middle school. I recall it having a fantastic beginning and ending...but then a terribly boring middle. I wonder what I'd think of it now...

Clive Barker's "Weaveworld" is one of my favorite novels. It is just so imaginative...and it really drew me in. I also really enjoyed "Imaijica" and "The Great and Secret Show." Good stuff...although I wouldn't call any of them "horror."

A while ago I picked up "The Ruins" because I hadn't read a horror novel since "Dracula." It was absolutely awful.

I've been meaning to read King's "It." I have it around here somewhere...

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:37 am

I don't know if novels about serial killers qualify, but I thoroughly enjoyed Cody McFadyen's Shadow Man. It's definitely gruesome and not for the feint of heart! Another grisly one is Mark Nykanen's The Bone Parade. The sadistic protagonist kills entire families and makes sculptures out of them. If you don't mind gore mixed with a bit of dark humor, Jeff Lyndsay's Dexter series is quite entertaining. Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first in the series, is the best.

D

Post by D » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Plenty of good titles here. I will come up with more later. Meanwhile, here's one I co-wrote:

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalo ... wn_hc.html