Aleister Crowley

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

kairos

Aleister Crowley

Post by kairos » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I just came across Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo DuQuette, even though it was published in 2003. For anyone interested at all in this particular tarot deck, its artwork by Lady Frieda Harris, Aleister Crowley himself, and all of the atrological, quabalistic and Egyptian mythology incorporated in the deck, this is a wonderful and in-depth read.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: Aleister Crowley

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:52 am

Sounds like great read, Sharyl. I'll check it out. Loved that deck the minute I saw it. I used to carry a small one in my briefcase just to look at in idle moments - very refreshing. Think of me when you see the Knight of Discs.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:26 am

I quite like Giger's.

kairos

Post by kairos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:Sounds like great read, Sharyl. I'll check it out. Loved that deck the minute I saw it. I used to carry a small one in my briefcase just to look at in idle moments - very refreshing. Think of me when you see the Knight of Discs.
Corlyss, It really is a stunning deck isn't it? DuQuette is a member of Crowley's Ordo Templi Orientis and presents much information, sometimes overwhelmingly so, but very interesting and accessible. There are bits and pieces of correspondence between Crowley and Harris during the years that the deck was being put together. Harris was also an extremely interesting person. Is the Knight of Discs your particular card astrologically or is it a card that simply resonates with you - or both? He is considered "fire of earth" by Crowley.

kairos

Post by kairos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Brendan wrote:I quite like Giger's.
Brendan, I do not own the Giger deck, but I have had several opportunities to look through the cards. Such "shadowy" images. I think it would take great strength and determination of soul to work with these cards. One of the things about the deck itself that did not appeal to me is that the images were not created by Giger specifically for tarot, but were instead some of Giger's work already done and assigned to the major arcana aspects. Still, a very dramatic take on the tarot journey.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

I've loved Giger's work for years, so I'm used to it. But I should recall others' initial reaction before recommending his art.

I also like the Bohemian Gothic (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bohemian-gothic/), but like decks for the art.

kairos

Post by kairos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Brendan wrote:I've loved Giger's work for years, so I'm used to it. But I should recall others' initial reaction before recommending his art.

I also like the Bohemian Gothic (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bohemian-gothic/), but like decks for the art.
I am not familiar with the Bohemian Gothic deck, but the images at aeclectic.net look interesting. I am not interested in the divination & fortune telling aspects of tarot either, but in the artwork and archetypal symbolism.