Your favorite book

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Your favorite book

Post by ravel30 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:07 pm

I find this section of CMG to be rather quiet lately so I thought that I could start a new thread. I don't know about you but I always like to know people's favorite book(s). Quite oftenly, it helps me a lot to discover books that I didn't know as well as getting to know my friends better.

So, what is/are your favorite book(s) ?

Here are mine:

- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Specially for the first part of three.
- Candide by Voltaire. I find this book so funny.
- Letters from my Windmill by Alphonse Daudet. I found the prose of this book to be simply amazing.
- There is a short story The man who planted trees by Jean Giono that I love dearly.
- The Little Prince by Saint-Exubery.

And many more. What about you ?

John F

Re: Your favorite book

Post by John F » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 pm

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
John Francis

Post by HoustonDavid » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:30 pm

As an inveterate reader of at least 65 years (I am now 72) I would find that question impossible
to answer. I always have a minimum of five books awaiting my attention, and I get nervous if the
number decreases, prompting me to go to the book store (usually Half-Price Books) to add another
eight or ten to the waiting list.

In my youth, I was introduced to the classics of American, English, and even Canadian literature via
the American and Canadian school and university systems, which also included a few French authors
such as Voltaire and St. Exupery in their native language during some five years of French language
lessons. I learned and appreciated much, but the classics never became a passion for me.

Since then, I read mostly history and biography for a good intellectual workout, some poetry, and a
variety of texts documenting my two favorite hobbies: collecting music and films. I probably spend
too much time now with the "popular" best sellers for just plain entertainment at my age. They usually
include crime thrillers, legal entanglers, fictionalized history, forensic and police work, and of course
the military, both historic and fictional, because of my personal military history in the U.S. Marine Corps.

David Sherman
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

Post by MarkC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:40 am

My books are about half music, half sports, and half everything else.
(Ooops, that's 3 halves.) :)

Favorite book: Tie between any baseball analysis book by BILL JAMES, and Ball Four by JIM BOUTON (whom I sometimes run into at events in the Berkshires).

Favorite music book: The Great Pianists by HAROLD SCHONBERG.
BTW....he loved baseball too.

Post by Air » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:47 am

MarkC wrote:Favorite music book: The Great Pianists by HAROLD SCHONBERG.
BTW....he loved baseball too.
Nice! That is also one of my favorite books regarding music.

As far as literature is concerned... Dostoevsky reigns supreme (at least for me).

Post by Brendan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 am

The Bible in Greek
Tao Te Ching
Complete Works of Shakespeare
Complete Works of Chaucer (in old English)
Complete Works of St John of the Cross
The Mystical Theology - St Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite
The Dialogue - St Catherine of Sienna
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind - Julian Jaynes
The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R.Tolkien

Post by Istvan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 am

- Candide by Voltaire. I find this book so funny.
- Letters from my Windmill by Alphonse Daudet. I found the prose of this book to be simply amazing.

I would agree with these choices. Candide is sort of Everyman. (For similar reasons, I would choose VS Naipaul's "A House for Mr Biswas"). In Daudet, I love the sunshine and the evocation of the countryside and a stressless existence when he goes to visit the poet Mistral.
I wouldn't be without Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov" for its depth of characterization.
If limited to one choice, it would have to be "Bleak House" by Dickens. One is engulfed in the narrative just as London is by the fog of the opening pages and it has the finest cast of characters of any novel.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 am

Dante´s works, obviously, The Divine Comedy. Milton´s Paradise Lost.
Homer´s and Virgil´s epic poems, add everything Shakespeare and Cervantes ever wrote, and I absolutely adore Stendhal and Flaubert.

BWV 1080

Post by BWV 1080 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39 am

Post by jserraglio » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

If my house were burning down I'd grab Homer, Dante and Shakespeare and figure I had it covered.

If I could take only one work, it would be the Iliad--an astounding masterpiece. If two, I'd also grab the Odyssey.

Right now though, I am engrossed in Making Toast, Roger Rosenblatt's moving memoir about his dead daughter and by The White Tiger a picaresque epistolary novel of contemporary India by Aravind Adiga.