What do you think of the writtings of Ayn Rand ?

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

ravel30

What do you think of the writtings of Ayn Rand ?

Post by ravel30 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi,

Lately, I have heard a lot of the writer/philosopher Ayn Rand. I have never read her books but did a bit of research on her and her books. I a very confussed about her. Some people think that she is the greatest and others think she was very evil. Apparently, a lot of right wingers really like her books. I have a feeling that Corlyss_D really like her and I hope that she will be able to tell us what she thinks of her.

How many of you have read her books ? What did you think ? Is it worth it to read her regardless of ones ideas ?
Any opinions on her and her philosophies ?

I understand that some of you may think that this thread may be more suitable for the book section but I think that due to some of the political views, a thread on her may be more suitable here.

Thank you.

Matt.

John F

Re: What do you think of the writtings of Ayn Rand ?

Post by John F » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:38 pm

You've already started a thread with the subject "Your thoughts on Ayn Rand and her writings," and gotten two replies.
John Francis

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Evening, Matt!

I read 4 of Ayn Rand's books years ago. The Fountainhead, Anthem, Atlas Shrugged, and We the Living.

They were all enjoyable. The characters would often go on lengthy dialogues that encompassed an entire page, but it was just her writing style and I got used to it.

Atlas Shrugged started out real slow for me. I think I read the first 200 pages in about 6 months. Then something clicked and I read the remaining 800 pages in about 2 days.

We the Living is of average length and might be a good book to read first in order to see if you like her writings.

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:57 pm

I went on an Ayn Rand kick in the 60's, believing, as she did, "to each according to their
abilities", and those with the mostest should run things. Kind of a youthful and idealistic
way to look at the world, especially if you think you might be one with the "mostest". I
suspect a lot of us here on the CMG panel might have gone through such a period, even
without Ayn Rand as a guide, but have matured into persons with a slightly amended and
more encompassing philosophy. Of course, there are always a few who still wish they were
running things. :wink:
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)