Re: Opinions on Stieg Larsson's three novels?

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Now that this subject thread has died of disinterest on the Corner Pub, I'll bring it up
again where it will probably have a quicker demise. I just finished "Green Tattoo" and
started "Played With Fire" and find Larsson's characters absolutely fascinating. For those
who haven't read the Larsson trilogy, they all involved the same basic cast of characters
in a series of mystery adventures.

Perhaps the most interesting is a genius who has been mistaken for a troubled mental
patient most of her young life, which has included some terrible episodes of abuse. Her
blossoming as a person is a major theme of the books, which also get into some pretty
gruesome crimes against women. Pick up "Tattoo" and give 'em a go.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm in the middle of Fire and love it! I saw the movie of Dragon and loved it, too. I plan to read Nest next.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:00 am

I've read all three and this is exceptional writing. The sad thing is that there will be no fourth novel. The ending of the last book suggested that it was an ongoing series.

If you liked the Larsson then can I suggest you explore Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo

Guitarist

Post by Guitarist » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 pm

If you haven't finished reading The Girl Who Played With Fire, then don't read the blub about The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest on its inside cover flap--it contains a huge spoiler! I made that mistake this morning... :x