Autobiography of Mark Twain

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Cosima___J

Autobiography of Mark Twain

Post by Cosima___J » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:12 pm

How, you might exclaim, can we be getting an autobiography of Mark Twain in the year 2010? Well, for some reason apparently known only to Twain, he gave instructions that his autobiography could only be published 100 years after his death. Did he know even then that his works would still be widely read?

From the Christian Science Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter- ... bestseller

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Autobiography of Mark Twain

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:52 am

My guess is that he did know (or believed) his books would be read. He was a pretty popular writer during his lifetime and maybe he just figured things would go on long after his demise. Twain is buried in Elmira, NY about 50 miles from here. I have frequently visited his gravesite where his wife children and son-in-law (Ossip Gabrilowitsch, conductor/pianist) is also buried. Here's one man I would liked to have known!
Cosima___J wrote:How, you might exclaim, can we be getting an autobiography of Mark Twain in the year 2010? Well, for some reason apparently known only to Twain, he gave instructions that his autobiography could only be published 100 years after his death. Did he know even then that his works would still be widely read?

From the Christian Science Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter- ... bestseller
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]