Hank Haney, The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods (2012)

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:51 am

Davis Kindervater wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/111 ... aneys-book
Tiger gets bored without change. He prefers makeover to maintenance.

Haney said: "He wanted to always be consciously doing something to get better. It was as if he needed the stimulation and the challenge to stay motivated."

I was somewhat surprised to learn that, according to Haney, part of why Tiger Woods changes his swing so often is that it gives him an excuse to play poorly, to "escape the pressure cooker he lived in or at least turn the heat down."

More on that in a moment.

A lot has been made over the years about Tiger's injuries and Haney makes it pretty clear those ailments were initiated away from the golf course. In fact, they probably had nothing to do with golf.

The Big Miss excerpt in Golf Digest last month laid the foundation of Tiger's obsession with the military, his Navy SEAL experimentation and the toll it took on his body. What absolutely blew my mind was Tiger's answer to this question from Haney:

"Tiger. Man, what are you doing? Are you out of your mind? What about Nicklaus's record? Don't you care about that?"

Tiger's answer—which, OK I'll admit, it's shocking—is worth the price of the book.