"The San Francisco Symphony:Music for a City, Music for the World"

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

neilnw

"The San Francisco Symphony:Music for a City, Music for the World"

Post by neilnw » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 pm

by Larry Rothe -- copyright 2011 by SFS

I did a quick search on this site for the name Locke, and only turned up five answers, only one of them pointing to the author's name, and then one of his other books. I read this entire book seven years ago when I moved into my last apartment, and presently intend to go over it all again. I found it (and still find it) the orchestra's definitive biography, easily supplanting the 1986 David Schneider bio (on the occasion of the SFS' 75th anniversary, as well as Schneider's 50th and final year as violinist in it). The present book was published in 2011, the orchestra's centenary. I've parted with my Schneider for this volume.

This time out I'm starting out with the chapter on Enrique Jorda (whose tenure was 1954-63) and reading on to the book's finish, then investigating, perhaps, the Henry Hadley years; then maybe Issay Dobrowen and maybe opting or not the Monteux years. There is also an introductory chapter covering the famous 1906 earthquake and rebuilding.

The Jorda chapter--titled poignantly "An Enigma and a Tragedy"--is a great deal more objective and even-handed than in Schneider's book. Whereas Schneider's is almost purely from the perspective of the musicians, Rothe's biography draws on numerous interviews with veteran staffers, as well as conversations with the brother of then-Symphony Association president J.D. Zellerbach (who mainly used Jorda's Decca/London recordings as the basis of the maestro's resume; these are the performances gathered together in the label's recent 2-CD box). Rothe considers George Szell the villain in the entire drama, likening him to Iago.

I've since reread the chapters on successive maestros Krips, Ozawa, deWaart and Blomstedt. I'm now starting the MTT chapter. Rothe has great things to say about these men--Krips, for rebuilding the orchestra and refamiliarizing them with the Viennese classics; Ozawa, for youthful appeal, foreign touring, and resumption of recording activities; deWaart, seeing the ensemble through to its new home, Davies Hall; and Blomstedt, for securing their international reputation once and for all, as well as the dawning of the CD format and their magnificent London/Decca series.

The sections devoted to Monteux and Tilson Thomas seem by far the most extensive.
Last edited by neilnw on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Ricordanza

Re: "The San Francisco Symphony:Music for a City, Music for the World"

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:36 am

neilnw wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 pm
The Jorda chapter--titled poignantly "An Enigma and a Tragedy"--is a great deal more objective and even-handed than in Schneider's book. Whereas Schneider's is almost purely from the perspective of the musicians, Rothe's biography draws on numerous interviews with veteran staffers, as well as conversations with the brother of then-Symphony president J.D. Zellerbach (who mainly used Jorda's Decca/London recordings as the basis of the maestro's resume; these are the performances gathered together in the label's recent 2-CD box). Rothe considers George Szell the villain in the entire drama, likening him to Iago.
I must admit that I'm not familiar with the name, Enrique Jorda. Just curious, what was the tragedy?

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:36 am
neilnw wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 pm
The Jorda chapter--titled poignantly "An Enigma and a Tragedy"--is a great deal more objective and even-handed than in Schneider's book. Whereas Schneider's is almost purely from the perspective of the musicians, Rothe's biography draws on numerous interviews with veteran staffers, as well as conversations with the brother of then-Symphony president J.D. Zellerbach (who mainly used Jorda's Decca/London recordings as the basis of the maestro's resume; these are the performances gathered together in the label's recent 2-CD box). Rothe considers George Szell the villain in the entire drama, likening him to Iago.
I must admit that I'm not familiar with the name, Enrique Jorda. Just curious, what was the tragedy?
For that I'll refer you over to my 16-year old posting on Jorda: http://classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=17134
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:18 am

neilnw wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 am
Ricordanza wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:36 am

For that I'll refer you over to my 16-year old posting on Jorda: http://classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=17134
Thanks. Quite a story.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:57 pm

Very impressing writing, research and knowledge here from Neil.