Personality Cult

Locked
dulcinea
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: tampa, fl

Personality Cult

Post by dulcinea » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:48 pm

:( I'm very intrigued and very puzzled and very perturbed by this phenomenon, so characteristic of world politics since the time of Hitler and Dzhugachvili. What differentiates, for ex, the fawning attitude of the US press towards the House of Windsor from the smarmy and disgusting idolatry bestowed upon Kim Jong-Il? It seems to be, at least, a matter of proportion: the praise lavished upon John Paul II--who remained a humble man in spite of it--is modest when compared to the grotesque, ridiculous and even macabre extremes of the cults dedicated to Mao, Kwame Nkrumah, Eva Peron, Trujillo, Castro, Ceausescu, Sukarno and Saddam.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:03 pm

Americans in general have always been fascinated by royalty, especially English. In our hearts we know the Declaration of Independence libelled our last and goodly sovereign, George III. But we got carried away.

When King George VI and his wife visited FDR at Hyde Park before World War II it was as big a media sensation as could be imagined. Visits by H.M. the Queen or any of her family bring the same reaction. Magazines like "Majesty" sell proportionately very well here.

And the Duchess of York is doing a fabulous job for Weight Watchers. She works very hard but her title opens doors.

In New York a person with an aristocratic title and reasonable table manners can be assured of getting reservations for anything and making at least the A- if not the A List socially.

The amusing flip side is that we literally don't go a year without a scandal and occasional prosecution of a fake nobleman(woman) who is an effective fraudster until unmasked.

Remember also that marriage between very beautiful and usually rich American women to perhaps handsome and often impoverished titled Englishmen has been common for over a century.

You can't seriously combine anyone from the House of Windsor in the same sentence with Stalin, the greatest murderer of the last century (yes, greater than Hitler).
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: Personality Cult

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:39 pm

dulcinea wrote::( I'm very intrigued and very puzzled and very perturbed by this phenomenon
We love media stars.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25817
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:59 pm

Ralph wrote:Americans in general have always been fascinated by royalty, especially English. In our hearts we know the Declaration of Independence libelled our last and goodly sovereign, George III. But we got carried away.

When King George VI and his wife visited FDR at Hyde Park before World War II it was as big a media sensation as could be imagined. Visits by H.M. the Queen or any of her family bring the same reaction. Magazines like "Majesty" sell proportionately very well here.

And the Duchess of York is doing a fabulous job for Weight Watchers. She works very hard but her title opens doors.

In New York a person with an aristocratic title and reasonable table manners can be assured of getting reservations for anything and making at least the A- if not the A List socially.

The amusing flip side is that we literally don't go a year without a scandal and occasional prosecution of a fake nobleman(woman) who is an effective fraudster until unmasked.

Remember also that marriage between very beautiful and usually rich American women to perhaps handsome and often impoverished titled Englishmen has been common for over a century.

You can't seriously combine anyone from the House of Windsor in the same sentence with Stalin, the greatest murderer of the last century (yes, greater than Hitler).
A few of our posters may not be aware that Djugashvili was Stalin. Cripes almightlhy, Ralph if this were not proof that you will respond to anything and make it sound like Christmas morning....
Last edited by jbuck919 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:13 pm

Ralph is dip and totful.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:35 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
Ralph wrote:Americans in general have always been fascinated by royalty, especially English. In our hearts we know the Declaration of Independence libelled our last and goodly sovereign, George III. But we got carried away.

When King George VI and his wife visited FDR at Hyde Park before World War II it was as big a media sensation as could be imagined. Visits by H.M. the Queen or any of her family bring the same reaction. Magazines like "Majesty" sell proportionately very well here.

And the Duchess of York is doing a fabulous job for Weight Watchers. She works very hard but her title opens doors.

In New York a person with an aristocratic title and reasonable table manners can be assured of getting reservations for anything and making at least the A- if not the A List socially.

The amusing flip side is that we literally don't go a year without a scandal and occasional prosecution of a fake nobleman(woman) who is an effective fraudster until unmasked.

Remember also that marriage between very beautiful and usually rich American women to perhaps handsome and often impoverished titled Englishmen has been common for over a century.

You can't seriously combine anyone from the House of Windsor in the same sentence with Stalin, the greatest murderer of the last century (yes, greater than Hitler).
A few of our posters may not be aware that Djugashvili was Stalin. Cripes almightlhy, Ralph if this were not proof that you will respond to anything and make it sound like Christmas morning....
*****

Speaking of Christmas with relevance to this topic, when much, much younger and in possession of a large, bulky Hallicrafter shortwave receiver (anybody remember those?), I would dutifully listen past midnight to Her Majesty's Christmas Message followed by a stirring playing of "God Save the Queen." Now the message is online, somehow cheapening the experience.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Ralph wrote: in possession of a large, bulky Hallicrafter shortwave receiver (anybody remember those?),
Omagod! Yes! That was our main link with the English speaking world when we lived over seas. We had one as late as the early 1960s. I toyed with the idea of becoming a ham radio operator but I kept shorting out all the electricity in the house and finally had to give it up. The Hallicrafter went with the smoking ruins of my ham radio experiment.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
Ralph wrote: in possession of a large, bulky Hallicrafter shortwave receiver (anybody remember those?),
Omagod! Yes! That was our main link with the English speaking world when we lived over seas. We had one as late as the early 1960s. I toyed with the idea of becoming a ham radio operator but I kept shorting out all the electricity in the house and finally had to give it up. The Hallicrafter went with the smoking ruins of my ham radio experiment.
*****

And now I have a powerful Grundig short wave receiver I rarely use that fits in the palm of my hand.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:16 pm

Ralph wrote: And now I have a powerful Grundig short wave receiver I rarely use that fits in the palm of my hand.
With radios declining in price, what is it about the innards of a shortwave that they are still pretty pricey comparatively?
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

herman
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:00 am
Location: Dutch Sierra

Post by herman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:32 am

Ralph wrote:You can't seriously combine anyone from the House of Windsor in the same sentence with Stalin, the greatest murderer of the last century (yes, greater than Hitler).
Not with Stalin, but the name Windsor combines very well with the Hitler name. Some of them were really pleased with and attracted to this guy, as were many British aristocats.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest