Labor Day Plans?

Locked
Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Labor Day Plans?

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:33 pm

It's the end of another summer. Are you having one last fling before the cold weather sets in?
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:57 pm

Hun, I'm going to Munich!

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

operafan
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:18 am
Location: San francisco

Post by operafan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:09 am

Because my children's school renovation will take at least a week into 'Fall', I get at least one extra week of Summer (insert any other version of Summer besides the well known Vivaldi). Yosemite without tourists (with the exception of my family :D ). A totally excellent place, particularly since they have banned autos from the valley floor. The only drawback is hiking to high meadows with the zillion pound telecope divided among the four of us. It will be worth the effort to see the Triphid nebula again. A heart felt thankyou to John Muir, and all the taxpayers who support the National Park System.

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:17 am

operafan wrote:Because my children's school renovation will take at least a week into 'Fall', I get at least one extra week of Summer (insert any other version of Summer besides the well known Vivaldi). Yosemite without tourists (with the exception of my family :D ). A totally excellent place, particularly since they have banned autos from the valley floor. The only drawback is hiking to high meadows with the zillion pound telecope divided among the four of us. It will be worth the effort to see the Triphid nebula again. A heart felt thankyou to John Muir, and all the taxpayers who support the National Park System.
You're welcome.

The "Triphid" Nebula? I don't think so.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

operafan
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:18 am
Location: San francisco

Post by operafan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:22 am


jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:30 am

operafan wrote:Sorry, typo. Late. Bed time.
Don't apologize. You've given me the biggest laugh I've had on this board in months. (For those who are not aware of it, "The Day of the Triphids (Triffids)" is a classic science fiction story, in which, among other things, the world goes blind from staring into space.)

That was far funnier even than Ralph's frequent references to Dittersdorf.
Last edited by jbuck919 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:31 am

My life's a fling. If it turns out to be hot weather then a last visit to the town's beautiful pool. Last Labor Day it was cool and overcast and I made the mistake of going there and got very depressed.

Labor Day is no big deal for me. My classes begin on 29 August so I have a full week of teaching behind me.

It would be nice is someone invited me for a Labor Day barbecue but that never happens. :(
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman
Posts: 4223
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Irvington, NY

Post by Werner » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:55 am

A dim sum barbecue? Just kidding!

We'll be off to Cape Cod for a week beginning on Labor Day. No laptop, no CMG conncetion. Can we stand it? can you?
Werner Isler

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:19 am

Ralph wrote:My life's a fling. If it turns out to be hot weather then a last visit to the town's beautiful pool. Last Labor Day it was cool and overcast and I made the mistake of going there and got very depressed.

Labor Day is no big deal for me. My classes begin on 29 August so I have a full week of teaching behind me.

It would be nice is someone invited me for a Labor Day barbecue but that never happens. :(
Ralph, if you wanted to cross the ocean, I would make you welcome our annual fall Bratwurst barbecue for welcome-back to teachers.

While you're here, you might consider applying to replace our retired social studies chair (Lord knows I could use another colleague with a brain in his head). You could live in a palace on the DoDDS hq allowance.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:22 am

jbuck919 wrote:
Ralph wrote:My life's a fling. If it turns out to be hot weather then a last visit to the town's beautiful pool. Last Labor Day it was cool and overcast and I made the mistake of going there and got very depressed.

Labor Day is no big deal for me. My classes begin on 29 August so I have a full week of teaching behind me.

It would be nice is someone invited me for a Labor Day barbecue but that never happens. :(
Ralph, if you wanted to cross the ocean, I would make you welcome our annual fall Bratwurst barbecue for welcome-back to teachers.

While you're here, you might consider applying to replace our retired social studies chair (Lord knows I could use another colleague with a brain in his head). You could live in a palace on the DoDDS hq allowance.
*****

Thanks but I couldn't be happier anywhere but here. I love my job, my city, my restaurants, etc.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:27 am

Ralph wrote:
jbuck919 wrote:
Ralph wrote:My life's a fling. If it turns out to be hot weather then a last visit to the town's beautiful pool. Last Labor Day it was cool and overcast and I made the mistake of going there and got very depressed.

Labor Day is no big deal for me. My classes begin on 29 August so I have a full week of teaching behind me.

It would be nice is someone invited me for a Labor Day barbecue but that never happens. :(
Ralph, if you wanted to cross the ocean, I would make you welcome our annual fall Bratwurst barbecue for welcome-back to teachers.

While you're here, you might consider applying to replace our retired social studies chair (Lord knows I could use another colleague with a brain in his head). You could live in a palace on the DoDDS hq allowance.
*****

Thanks but I couldn't be happier anywhere but here. I love my job, my city, my restaurants, etc.
The problem is that I also love your job, your city, your restaurants, etc.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:30 am

jbuck919 wrote:Hun, I'm going to Munich!
Lucky!

Is Nymphenburg on your list of things to visit? It was my favorite place to be.
Last edited by Corlyss_D on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 am

Corlyss_D wrote:
jbuck919 wrote:Hun, I'm going to Munich!
Lucky!

Is Nymphenburg on your list of things to visit? It was my favorite place to be.
I'll probably stay in town. The last time I visited a friend (by the most bizarre coincidence a former teaching colleague from Maryland who happens to be a native of Munich), and while she gave me the royal treatment, I really missed what I would like to do--see the Alte Pinakotek, have a jog, and just enjoy the unique wonder of exploring a fine city.

With the drawdown, my days in Germany may be numbered. I'm not going to waste any more time. Tops on my list are Belin, Vienna, and Paris. I can't come back to the States and look anybody straight in the face claiming that I was never in those cities. If I can get music in there somehow, I will.

I might add that the train and hotel are ridiculously cheap by the standards of many other tourist destinations, including beloved New York.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:15 pm

jbuck919 wrote:I'll probably stay in town.
Nymphenburg is in the city. It didn't used to be, but with urban growth, it is now. It was the King's summer residence.

http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/C ... enburg.htm

I spent only about an hour in the palace and the Amelianburg (because its decor was used for the sets of the legendary Munich Rosenkavalier). I spent all my time there on the grounds, a huge park you can't do in a day. Any time I had a down day with nothing planned, I'd go out to the park.
I might add that the train and hotel are ridiculously cheap by the standards of many other tourist destinations, including beloved New York.
No kidding! I stayed at Am Hofgarten, a little pension right next to the town palace with its own huge park and gardens, and a mere 3 blocks from the operahouse. In 1983 it was about DM 45/night, compared to 6 times that much for the Four Seasons about 2 blocks away.

When I'm in NYC, I stay at Leo House, a residence for visiting Catholic priests and nuns that rents out excess rooms to tourists lucky enough to know about it for about $60/single/night. It's in Chelsea at W 23 between 7th and 8th Ave. I've been staying there for over 30 years. It's old. It's not fancy. But it's cozy and friendly and fair smack in the middle of the transportation lanes accessible to most anything I want to see.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:32 pm

I was thrown out of Leo House for conduct unbecoming...
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:37 pm

Ralph wrote:I was thrown out of Leo House for conduct unbecoming...
Unbecoming what? A Law Prof? :lol:
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 25927
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:38 pm

I suppose no one's ever tried the downtown Lutheran Seafarer's Residence. I stayed there for the 100th AGO (American Guild of Organists) convention. I must say that it pretty much sucked.

I qualify for the Princeton Club on 47th Street but a few years ago I made a venture to perhaps renew my membership and went into sticker shock. On top of a normal NY hotel room price, there is the membership fee.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:39 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
Ralph wrote:I was thrown out of Leo House for conduct unbecoming...
Unbecoming what? A Law Prof? :lol:
*****

Unbecoming a fellow who made an honest mistake and took a friendly hello from a nun as an invititation to visit her room via the fire escape. Very embarrassing.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest