Marc-André Hamelin In Recital

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donaldopato

Marc-André Hamelin In Recital

Post by Donaldopato » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 am

Forbes Magazine recently included Kansas City on its list of miserable cities, an exercise in coastal/warm climate elitism frankly. One of their big reasons?... we have two lousy sports teams.

Give me a break.

Hardly miserable is the classical music scene for a city this size. What other "miserable" location had a choice of seeing Marc-André Hamelin in recital or Emmanuel Pahud in concert with the KC Symphony playing the world premiere of a flute concerto written for him by Italian composer Luca Lombardi?

Miserable indeed, as one could only be at one place at a time. I chose the Hamelin on Friday, as luckily the Symphony will repeat the performance on Saturday.

As discussed on the Classical Music Guide forum a while back, Hamelin is considered by many to be among the best pianists currently performing. His consummate skill, musicality and daring repertoire earn him highest praise. He is a "cool" performer as well, not prone to display and distracting gestures. But he is far from just a cerebral technician; as he demonstrated last night, he can infuse the simplest melody or phrase with grace and glowing beauty.

The program certainly was designed to display Hamelin's formidable talents in a variety of styles: the sublime Haydn Variations in F minor, Mozart Sonata in a, K 310, Liszt "Venezia e Napoli", Fauré "Nocturne # 6 op 63 and the reason for my attendance, Alkan "Symphonie" for solo piano, #s 4-7 of the 12 Etudes op 39.

From beginning to end, the recital was virtually flawless. The Haydn "Variations" (sometimes listed as a sonata) H 17, # 6 received an appropriately romantic performance yet with all the classical clarity intact. The coda was a masterpiece of rhapsodic emotions, the resigned, quiet ending bringing this jewel to a breathtaking ending.

The Mozart Sonata in A minor also received a reading from Hamelin that mined its emotional depths, using its linear motion and minor key to reveal the stormy drama of this sonata, so different in mood from his earlier works.

The Liszt pieces found Hamelin in his element, indeed he only recently added the Mozart to his repertoire, according to an interview published in the local paper. Indeed "Gondoliera" was nothing less than sublime tone painting, the many trills, tremolos and chromatic runs not for show but to literally paint a Venetian scene. A friend who attended the concert and is a frequent visitor to Venice told me he could not help but feel he was on a canal in the Venetian mist. The Canzone and Tarantella sang and danced, as their respective titles would indicate. The torrent of notes and fluid dynamic contrasts never seemed to be just for show in Hamelin's hands, only to communicate Liszt's musical travelogue.

The Fauré was delightfully serene and dreamy without being coying and sweet. Hamelin relished bringing out the harmonic and rhythmic touches that foreshadowed Ravel and Debussy.

Alkan. What can I say. This music was made for a pianist like Hamelin. If perhaps a little less percussive and rhythmically incisive than the classic Raymond Lewenthal recording, Hamelin commanded the rapid changes from chords to octaves, the huge leaps, cascade of notes and pounding rhythms. But along the way, he highlighted the many Chopinesque and Mozartean passages, contrasting yet also integrating them perfectly with the Lisztian fireworks.

Absolutely brilliant.

As an encore, Hamelin performed one of his own compositions, a jazz tinged, impressionistic "Little Prelude".

Who cares if Kansas City has lousy sports teams? With classical music opportunities like this at our fingertips I can escape the "misery" for a while.

Tonight, KC Symphony with the Lombardi Flute Concerto, Beethoven Symphony # 8 and Tchaikovsky "Francesca di Rimini".
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Marc-André Hamelin In Recital

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Donald, excellent review! I, too, had the pleasure of hearing the Alkan rendered live by Hamelin in College Park, MD. I shan't forget it! As for KC being a "miserable" city - I would pay no attention to the remark. It illustrates the stupidity of someone tagging a great city like KC in this manner. When I was there, I enjoyed it thoroughly and would love to go back some time. I was there for a piano technician's conference (in the hotel where the floors collapsed).
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:39 am

Thanks for your very fine review. I find it interesting--and admirable--that Hamelin presented a completely different program than his January 13, 2010 Philadelphia recital.

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman

Post by Werner » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 pm

"Hardly miserable" certainly applies to the concert reviews we are treated to by you, Donald, from Kansas City, a frequent stop of my traveling days many years ago.

As happens typically, the Kansas City stages of my career involved the airport, the hotel, and the meetings, leaving undiscovered so many vital aspects of the place. I have no idea whether the musical life there at the time was anything like what you have described in your reviews. Happily, the musical life in kansas City now has its own strengths. Thank you for telling us about it.
Werner Isler

Scott Morrison

Post by Scott Morrison » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:11 pm

As a former Kansas Citian -- for more than forty years -- I heartily agree with what you say about that fair city, Donaldopato. And I appreciate your review of the recital given by Hamelin. I envy you, especially for the Alkan and the delicious Haydn F Minor Variations. I was fortunate to hear him, before he got quite so famous, at White Recital Hall of the Conservatory of the University of Missouri - Kansas City. He played Alkan that night, too.
Der Himmel hängt voller Geigen. - Bavarian folksong