Chailly Gewandhaudorchester

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

bombasticDarren

Chailly Gewandhaudorchester

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:02 pm

It is with some considerable anticipation that I will be attending the following concert at the Barbican on the 26th:-

Beethoven - Symphony No.1 & No.7

Riccardo Chailly, Gewandhausorchester Leipzig

I can't wait :D
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seán

Re: Chailly Gewandhaudorchester

Post by Seán » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:15 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:It is with some considerable anticipation that I will be attending the following concert at the Barbican on the 26th:-

Beethoven - Symphony No.1 & No.7

Riccardo Chailly, Gewandhausorchester Leizig

I can't wait :D
Wow, Darren, you lucky man, that is realy something to look forward to. A Facebook friend of mine was at a concert in Leipzig on Thursday last of Beethoven's Symphonies 4 and 6 and he enjoyed it immensely, I hope you do too.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Hearing Beethoven 7 live with those forces would be absolutely wonderful....I eagerly await a review of that concert 8)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 am

The concert was really magnificent. It was one of those occasions when every department of the orchestra sounded first rate, and could not be faulted. I have only felt that way about concerts I've attended with the VPO, LSO, BPO and RCO; so high praise there I think!

The performance of the 7th symphony was extremely impressive. I don't think the tempi were excessively fast but the vigour and momentum created by Chailly's direction made it appear to fly by. A standing ovation was forthcoming.

The highlight was, for me, the 1st symphony. I am actually very fond of this piece and have somehow now heard it live on 3 occasions. This was the best by a mile. In fact I would say it's the best I have heard it played live or on record. Chailly and the orchestra really made it dance and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I will be purchasing the box set from HMV in the next few hours :)

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_contr ... hp?id=9658

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 pm

I am delighted that you enjoyed the performances Darren....it certainly sounds like a magnificent occasion :D

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

I am going back again this Wednesday for the 4th and 6th symphonies :D