July 31-Bronfman plays Brahms - LAPO at the Hollywood Bowl

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

ContrapunctusIX

July 31-Bronfman plays Brahms - LAPO at the Hollywood Bowl

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:10 pm

what a great concert this was. I've only heard a few Bronfman recordings, but his performance of the Brahms' second concerto was a real eye-opener for me. I have some additional thoughts I need to gather, but I plan to expand on that when I have a bit more time. Suffice to say that this was a brisk performance, and his work in the first two movements, especially his treatment of those difficult double-handed trills at apex the of the first movement, either exceeded or was on par with most recordings of the work I've heard.

The Elgar Enigma Variations which followed were a bit of a let down, but that's more the fault of the music and programming than the performance itself, as the LA Phil. acquitted themselves with aplomb, especially during the boisterous, brass-heavy variations. I'm not familiar with with the conductor, Lionel Bringuier, and while I was initially disappointed it wasn't Dudamel I came away very impressed. If the Brahms is any indication, his tempi seem to be a throwback to the Reiner/Szell approach of days gone by.