Pogorelich in London

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

arepo

Pogorelich in London

Post by arepo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:02 am

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/f ... don-review

Very painful to read how a once great artist can totally lose it.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Pogorelich in London

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:12 pm

What a tragedy. The review is one of the most honest and sorrowful ones I have ever read about a performing artist. When one thinks back when Pogorelich was 'the word' in pianists, and the decline that has taken place since his days of glory, tragedy is the only word that immediately comes to mind. And shame on whoever it was that had the audacity to present this artist to the paying public. I can understand (and have seen many times), dropped notes, or moments of forgetfulness from great artists ... for they are, after all, human beings, not programmable machines. Pogorelich's reputation certainly preceded his appearance for the recital reviewed here, and while one would be willing to give any artist a chance, so-to-speak, some careful consideration also has to be made. I have seen this happen with two other pianists, namely John Ogdon, himself a winner of a major piano competition, sharing the status with Vladimir Ashkenazy, and the other, Andrei Gavrilov, who was a splendid pianist, well illustrated in his JS Bach recordings for EMI and RCA Victor. One began to observe the decline, at least on records, with his DGG recordings. The last recording I have of Gavrilov appeared on the K&K label of a 1999 recital in Germany - all Chopin, probably the worst recital I have heard heard gone sour by a once major artist. John Ogdon, of course, was well known to have some mental dsiabilities - but he was also given many chances to return to his former status although that really never happened. With Pogorelich, it seemed his career began to wane after the death of his wife, who was also his teacher, who was considerably older, or at least that's the way the story is given. Deutsche Grammophon has just issued a boxed set of all of Pogorelich's recordings for the label. Many of those discs have been pricey and well sought out by collectors since their original LP/CD reissue. As for Gavrilov, who was close friends with Sviatoslav Richter, I do not know anything more about what has happened to his career or if he still has one.
arepo wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/f ... don-review

Very painful to read how a once great artist can totally lose it.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]