Ute Lemper “A rendezvous with Dietrich”

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Ute Lemper “A rendezvous with Dietrich”

Post by Philip M » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm

I first heard Ute Lemper live nearly 30 years when I attended a preview night of Chicago in London - a super cast that included Ruthie Henshall and Nigel Planer. As I left the theatre the exit door was held open for me by Sir Cliff Richard, no less, who had clearly enjoyed the evening!

Since then I have heard Lemper quite a few times. The last three were at the Royal Festival Hall, the Barbican and Lichfield Cathedral - major venues.

I heard her last night in the rather quaint, dated, 200 seat Old Rep Theatre in Birmingham. She is touring with her tribute to Marlene Dietrich. It is based on a 3 hour telephone conversation that Lemper had with Dietrich some 33 years ago when she was working in Paris, where Dietrich lived (Dietrich never left her apartment for the last 12 years of her life). It was the only time Lemper spoke to Dietrich.

The evening recreates (with artistic license) that conversation and includes many of the songs Dietrich sang - Falling in love again, Lili Marlene, Ne me quitte pas, Where have all the flowers gone etc.

The show is very professionally done, and she holds your attention throughout the whole 2.5 hours. Lemper is backed by Vara Glerig on piano, Cyril Garac, violin, Romain Lecuyer, bass and Matthias Daneck on drums.

She brings it to New York for 3 consecutive nights, 23-25 April at the Café Sabarsky on 5th Avenue. I recommend the New Yorkers on the forum get their ticket!

Philip