Stephen Hough in recital in Stoke

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Stephen Hough in recital in Stoke

Post by Philip M » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:24 am

I attended my third piano recital in 5 days last night - Stephen Hough at The Repertory Theatre in Stoke-on- Trent.

An interesting programme with the theme of "death". I did wonder whether I should wear a black tie but in the end stuck to a black trenchcoat!

He opened with the Bach-Busoni Chaconne. Such a wonderful opener! I love the piece and wish it was played more often. Hough gave a superb performance, using the full range of the Steinway, though he did not match Michelangeli, who gave the finest live performance I have heard in the Royal Festival Hall in 1973.

Hough followed this with Busoni's brief Berceuse, a rarely played little gem, before he launched straight into Chopin's Funeral March Sonata. It received a full bodied performance in which Hough used the full dynamic range of the piano.

After the interval he introduced and played his own 10' Sonata No.4 (Vide breve), melodic and logical and well worth hearing.

Finally 3 Liszt works played without a break - Funerailles, Mephisto Waltz 4 (Bagatelle without tonality) and Mephisto Waltz No.1.

What would be a suitable encore after such a programme? Hough had the perfect answer: Bach-Gounod Ave Maria.

Philip

Rach3

Re: Stephen Hough in recital in Stoke

Post by Rach3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks for the review. The Liszt Mephisto # 4 must be rarely played (?) and is amazing.

Philip M

Re: Stephen Hough in recital in Stoke

Post by Philip M » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:31 am

The only other person I have heard play it live is André Watts in the 90s.